Wish List

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xraycer

Nov 2, 2011
Pelham NH
I told "Santa" that I would like a chainsaw. She.....I mean "he" just chuckled, but I think its a done deal. Since, I've been a really good boy this year.......installing a pellet stove and constantly hauling pellets and all.

So, what are you asking from Santa this year?

twojrts said:
leaf blower with a vacum!!

Just bought this off EB the other day. At $27.99 shipped I figured I give it a shot.

Attachments

• vacuum.jpg
    vacuum.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 459
Nice price, but that bag doesn't look like it would hold much.

twojrts said:

Dont use the bag. I never have. Point away from house and fire it up. If you used the bag, it would be a Mess!! Ash would be coming out of the bag everywhere.

Xraycer- What are the #'s on that unit (i.e.-200 MPH / 450 CFM)??

I would have to do the pillow case thing since I'm in a mobile home park. No one next door tho.

DexterDay said:
twojrts said:

Dont use the bag. I never have. Point away from house and fire it up. If you used the bag, it would be a Mess!! Ash would be coming out of the bag everywhere.

Yeap, not planning on using the bag.

Doesn't give alot of info except 13k rpm, 380watt motor, 3.5 amp no-load. Its a gamble, but for $28 what the heck.

I'm fortunate in that the warm air circulates to all my living spaces naturally. Only ceiling fan running on one side of the house that has the cathedral ceiling.

I have good circulation on first and second floor, the aireshare is to help some in the basement.

DexterDay said:
twojrts said:

My blower has a curved attachment piece you can put on the end of the blower tube. Used this piece to point AWAY from the house. Did my first leaf blower trick a few weeks ago after a good stove and pipe cleaning. Amazing! Shot large amount of ash about 30 feet for the first 15 secs and then let her run for a few minutes to get the rest out. I swear the stove runs better and quieter than when we had it installed.

Frogwood,

What brand of blower did you get?

Thanks!!

Frogwood said:
DexterDay said:
twojrts said:

My blower has a curved attachment piece you can put on the end of the blower tube. Used this piece to point AWAY from the house. Did my first leaf blower trick a few weeks ago after a good stove and pipe cleaning. Amazing! Shot large amount of ash about 30 feet for the first 15 secs and then let her run for a few minutes to get the rest out. I swear the stove runs better and quieter than when we had it installed.

The bag keeps the ash blowing everywhere locally. If you use the snout (used for the leafblowing, not vacuum mode) you can direct it away and shoot the ash in a stream away from where you are. Using a bag will cause it to go everywhere. Where the snout allows you to point where you want it to go.

Onlu way to do it. IMHO. I have seen a YouTube vid of someone using a bag. What a Mess!!!! Use the attachment for the blower as an exhaust tube.

Smoke Show's Avatar used to have a perfect example of this. Oh wait, found a pic. Not in Action though. Cleaned someones insert. Here is a pic

Attachments

• leafblower.jpg
    leafblower.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 270
twojrts said:
Frogwood,

Thanks!!
Twojrts,
I've had a Ryobi gas powered blower for about 4yrs that I purchased at HD. Our yard gets tons of leaves in the fall so it gets lots of use around here. Just read about the leaf blower trick here recently so I tried it out. Looks like most folks use the electric blowers so they can plug in and stay away from the exhaust. My setup required that I actually hold the blower so I wore a mask, goggles, hat, gloves, etc. Make sure you read all the posts before you try it out as there is some good precautionary advice.
Good luck!

Frogwood said:
twojrts said:
Frogwood,

Thanks!!
Twojrts,
I've had a Ryobi gas powered blower for about 4yrs that I purchased at HD. Our yard gets tons of leaves in the fall so it gets lots of use around here. Just read about the leaf blower trick here recently so I tried it out. Looks like most folks use the electric blowers so they can plug in and stay away from the exhaust. My setup required that I actually hold the blower so I wore a mask, goggles, hat, gloves, etc. Make sure you reall all the posts before you try it out as there is some good precautionary advice.
Good luck!

Yes the warnings are critical or else you have at the very least a major mess to clean up, you don't want to know the worst.

Frogwood said:
twojrts said:
Frogwood,

Thanks!!
Twojrts,
I've had a Ryobi gas powered blower for about 4yrs that I purchased at HD. Our yard gets tons of leaves in the fall so it gets lots of use around here. Just read about the leaf blower trick here recently so I tried it out. Looks like most folks use the electric blowers so they can plug in and stay away from the exhaust. My setup required that I actually hold the blower so I wore a mask, goggles, hat, gloves, etc. Make sure you read all the posts before you try it out as there is some good precautionary advice.
Good luck!

Sounds like a hazmat scenario :lol:

Yeah, like don't do this from Inside the house!!! Mentioned it yesterday to my service guy, Bret. He said yeah one of his customers tried it and had a TOTAL MESS IN his house!! I laughed and said he blew it out from inside didn't he. Bret said Yep he did!!

I will get an electric one. I think the gas one would be too much for me to pull start. Kind of like the gas mowers! Gave up on them 5 yrs ago.

When I am ready, you bet I will ask a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.