With proper indoor storage, do Pellets have a shelf life?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
As a newly obsessed pellet newbie, I have been reading many posts on here and have noticed that lots of people have pellets left over from last year or have accumulated more pellets (say Oink??) than it seem likely anyone outside of Alaska who lives in a normal sized house could burn in two years.

It made me wonder if pellets, assuming proper storage, have a shelf life? If I buy now will they burn well 2 years from now? . . . four?

Any thoughts or experiences?

Just wondering.

I bought a used stove this summer and it came with an open bag of Somerset(dated 07) and they burned just as good as bags dated (5/11).
I'm hooked on Somerset pellets and they date stamp every bag. I have other brand of pellets, that don't mark the bags with a date!
I wouldn't want to store pellets for too long(more than a few years), because of possible moisture or termites.
Just remember that bags are vented with air holes, so they are not impervious to the environment.

Keep them in a dry environment and they will last for Years. Keep them off the ground, under cover (preferably indoors or garage) and away from moisture. Will not rot away and should have a very long shelf life.

Only have enough for 2-3 yrs..... Hope to get more. Ideally would lile to stay 2-3 yrs ahead. In case pricing ever gets the way it was in 08'. I can burn for a year or two till the price dips back down.

I have 35 bags of CleanFires left over from 2008! Burning them now, no problems

I have 1.5 tons of 2009 sitting in their wrappers in a corner that I may get to in about 2013, 4 tons of 2010 that a ton might see the burn pot this season, and rest are 2011 vintage.

I can now replace at my leisure when the prices are right.

Be prepared.

ETA: Plenty of frost on the pumpkins this morning and it seems to have encouraged the leaves to get a drop on.

In deed very chilly in S. Maine this AM. But I buy pellets all year long to keep my reserves sufficient just in case of price spikes. Can't do that with HHO#2!!

Thanks guys. This is my first year with pellets and my spring project with my 15 year old son will be construction of a dedicated pellet storage shed. Now I know it should be able to hold more than 3 or 4 tons. At the moment I can keep about 3 tons indoors in my regular shed + 10/12 bags in the house (don't have a useable basement).

Of course, since Madame Defarge dictates location, aesthetics and size, I might not be able to build as large as I would like.

We shall see.

Ive had pellets have a 2 year birthday in my damp basement....i just store them on pallets on the floor

RKS130 said:
Thanks guys. This is my first year with pellets and my spring project with my 15 year old son will be construction of a dedicated pellet storage shed. Now I know it should be able to hold more than 3 or 4 tons. At the moment I can keep about 3 tons indoors in my regular shed + 10/12 bags in the house (don't have a useable basement).

Of course, since Madame Defarge dictates location, aesthetics and size, I might not be able to build as large as I would like.

We shall see.

Tell the lady of the house pellets rule and ..... ;-) .

Thanks foir the advice Smokey. Tell you what . . . if you get down this way let me know, and YOU can tell her. Me, I only look stiupid.

RKS130 said:
Thanks foir the advice Smokey. Tell you what . . . if you get down this way let me know, and YOU can tell her. Me, I only look stiupid.

I'm fairly certain that is your job, not mine.

I think my wife is trained on this matter, she likes to be warm during the cold season.

SmokeyTheBear said:
RKS130 said:

I think my wife is trained on this matter, she likes to be warm during the cold season.

Maybe we should ask her? I heard something about the garage bay and her car bing in there? ;-)

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
RKS130 said:

Maybe we should ask her? I heard something about the garage bay and her car bing in there? ;-)

She understands that if I need that space it is mine. In fact in early May it may have a replacement flock brooding there. I do try to cut her some slack in the winter.

You should also note I had 16.5 tons of pellets in the garage, along with a large and small patio table, patio chairs, chicken feed, wood shavings, a workbench, food storage space, an oil incinerator, oil tank, two snow blowers, generator, lawn mower and grill.

After Christmas the upper drive is no longer cleared of snow. Saves me from clearing a couple thousand square feet of crud and she gets a warm car and no frost scrapping.

All I know is I do what I am told. Nuff said!!

Status
Not open for further replies.