Witnessed pressure changes...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
Burning a Quad. The house was low 60's when we woke up. It's been between 40s and 50s the last few days so I started a fire. My wife went around and double checked the windows and the latches. We live in log cabin that is actually pretty tight. As soon as the last window was latched tight...the Quad hiccuped pretty bad and burped a little smoke. Never had that happen before.

Coincidence? Releasing smoke into house is not a good sign, IME. !!!

I'd look for the real cause(s). (Sure you don't have a leak in the attic, for chimney effect?)

No attic. Have a 18 ft loft. The weather is real crappy out. Damp. When it's not raining its drizzling. 50ish degrees. The windows won't "seal" until the latch is locked. As soon as my wife hit that, it burped. I should add this was on start up as well.

So are you having draft issues? To me it sounds like thats the issue. Once the window was latched the draft was cut off. Outside temps above 50 degrees are poor for getting a good draft started from what I've read here. And I find I need to slightly open a window near the stove when starting a small fire to take the chill out of the house when the temps outside are that warm.

So are you having draft issues? To me it sounds like thats the issue. Once the window was latched the draft was cut off. Outside temps above 50 degrees are poor for getting a good draft started from what I've read here. And I find I need to slightly open a window near the stove when starting a small fire to take the chill out of the house when the temps outside are that warm.
Not a "problem" per se. It only burped once. I guess I just more or less witnessed how easily a small change can really effect ones stove. I've never had a draft issue. If anything, too strong of a draft. Today though, not so much with this nasty weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.