WNY/CNY pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hockeyfun1

Mar 12, 2014
Rochester, NY
I live in Rochester, NY. Anyone know any good places to get a quality pellet around here? Even anywhere in CNY since I frequent there. Home Depot/Lowes tend to stock crap to average pellets. Any places that deliver free or cheap? I have a truck but it's a 1/4 ton, so I'd have to make four trips if it's close enough if I bought a ton. Anyone know if pellets are any cheaper in Canada because of the exchange rate? I could always grab 1/4 ton next time I go.

Barefoot, Great pellets. They even started putting them in small bags (20 lb) makes it easier on the wife.

I buy from Higbie Farm Supply on Union Street in North Chili. I get a ton and take 10 bags at a time (because no truck). They sell Barefoot, Dry Creek, Alleghany, and Lacrete (there may be others). I've used them all and the only ones my stove gets bitchy about are the Dry Creek.

They're 20 minutes away so maybe I'll get 10 bags. What did it cost per bag or for a ton? Are the Barefoots the best out of the brands you listed?

I paid $249 for Alleghany. As far as best, I've never had a complaint with Barefoot. The pellets from Lowe's or Home Dumpster I hated.

Maybe I'll grab a few bags of each one they have. I've had my stove about five years and only have burned HD/Lowes, so it sounds like anything would be an improvement. Looks like I can let my furnace run the next week or so since it will be decent weather. I'm sure I'll have most of February to test them out. Thanks.

Thinking it shouldn't take 4 trips to haul one ton.

What exactly do you have for a truck?

If you can get some in the front, then stack towards the front in the back - should be able to do it in 3 fairly safely. 500lbs. is about the same as 3 average sized dudes.

I know there are Country Max stores South and East of Roch, but not sure your way.

I think Instant heat, not sure on the price. I think they let you buy by the ton and take what you need when you need.

I've had goo luck at tractor supply. I bought their brand last year and liked them a lot. The only thing is you will want to put iGepir app on your phone to check who is filling their brand bag pellets. When I bought last year they had 2 different companies filling their bags. DryCreek, which you said you didn't like, which I bought as my stove seems to like them and instaHeat. Not sure who got their contract for pellets this year. I also have bought from Higbie but find their prices a bit high and they charge a good penny for delivery.

4 cylinder 2.5L 2001 Ford Ranger with manual transmission

I hauled a half a tonne at a time in mine without issue however I didn't have far to go. If you spread the load out evenly you should be fine.

I live in Rochester, NY. Anyone know any good places to get a quality pellet around here? Even anywhere in CNY since I frequent there. Home Depot/Lowes tend to stock crap to average pellets. Any places that deliver free or cheap? I have a truck but it's a 1/4 ton, so I'd have to make four trips if it's close enough if I bought a ton. Anyone know if pellets are any cheaper in Canada because of the exchange rate? I could always grab 1/4 ton next time I go.

Pellets up here can be had for 5$ cad a bag if you look. Driving them back across the boarder might be an issue however.

Higbie will deliver up to 5 or 6 ton for 100bucks fyi.

Barefoot will blow away ANY of the pellets from country max, HD, Lowes. I've tried them all. Barefoot runs about 40F hotter (at my ouputs) and much cleaner. It is currently 290/ton there.

I went to Country Max yesterday and got 3 bags of Instant Heat to see how they burn. $5.50 a bag. I will maybe go to Higbie this weekend or next and pickup a few bags of each to see how they burn. Not sure what Lowes is carrying this year but you can get $50 off $250 coupons on eBay for around $1. Wait until they drop their leftover pellet pallets at the end of the season to maybe $199, get some other stuff to bump it to $250, then you're paying $200 with coupon. Unless their pellets are total garbage. I've only burned Lowes/Home Depot pellets, so I don't know the difference yet. Since I have a NG furnace too, if it's above 40F it's cheaper to run the furnace. If it's 30 to 40F it's break even yet warmer to use the pellets. Under 30 is money in the bank by using pellets.

Higbie will deliver up to 5 or 6 ton for 100bucks fyi.

Barefoot will blow away ANY of the pellets from country max, HD, Lowes. I've tried them all. Barefoot runs about 40F hotter (at my ouputs) and much cleaner. It is currently 290/ton there.

I think I paid $240/ton for Barefoot (or would that be bare feet?) here in Weedsport last fall. I'm due for another ton soon.

Instant heat are probs the worst pellet out there. Your stove will never forgive you. Their better known as "instant heatless"