Woah..Lots of condensation on my stash today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShizzelDizzel

Nov 3, 2011
Wesminster, MD
Due to my limited space inside, I have stored two tons of pellets underneath an addition (which was basically built on a deck frame) and provides weather protection on all sides. I came home today to grab a couple bags to take upstairs into the house when I noticed a fair amount of condensation have accumulated on the bags. Today was an unseasonably humid day and it appears the condensation formed under the plastic wrap covering the pellets. While the bags had dew on them, the water didn't appear to get inside the bags. Besides finding a spot in my basement (where I am very limited on space and already have one ton stored), should I be doing something different?

The exact same thing happened to me a few years back when I was storing pellets in my screened in porch. In fact, it happened on several occasions that particular winter.

I ended up throwing about 1/3 ton away as the pellets got wet and expanded into sawdust. I did not have the pellets covered with a tarp or anything. That was the first time it happened in over 7 years of storing pellets in my porch. Going forward, I store them in my basement.

Perhaps covering them with a tarp would help.

While it is rare, I have seen condensation on some of the bag stored in my garage. I keep them on their pallets and covered until it is time to open that pallet up for use. The plastic feels damp, but I have never lost pellets to this, even those stored for a couple of years. I think we have to remember that all pellet bag have holes in them, so it is important that no pooling of water be allowed as that would be the most likely reason for moisture to seep into the bags. non accumulating moisture seem to evaporate without becoming an issue.

I had the original plastic from the factory over the pallets, however, I had to remove the shrink wrap to move the bags and restack them. To be on the safe side I'll see if I can find some room somehow in the basement.

If it's just condensation I would not worry about it. Happens to my pellets in my old barn, the condensation evaporates and there is no problem with any of the pellets.

It was definitely condensation. I bit the bullet and crammed them into the basement.

Last week while carrying bags I noticed the bags felt damp.
They are stored in my garage that's unheated at the moment. I agree with others and chalked it up to the wild temperature swings we have been experiencing causing moisture to form on the bag.
My routine is to bring in a a few bags into our "breezeway" that has a small ceramic heater. They sit there for a few days until I move them up the "assembly line" to the living room where they wait in line to be burnt.
They are burning fine.

I guess I panicked but there was no way I was going to let my money and work go to waste. The temps and humidity here in md has been crazy this week. Yesterday 60, today 45. I think the pellets would have been fine but I had peace of mind when I moved them indoors. Also my dilemma faces a lot of challenges. My basement gets water in it after moderate rains. I have plans on putting in a sump pump and weeping tile this winter. So I had to find a place that stays dry and won't be in my way if I decide to dig up the concrete pad.

Only way to avoid condensation is climate control. Wait until Eric hears about this, He might need a climate control system for his inside stored pellets? ;-)

Everytime you open the door to the shed, you let cold air in. The pellets will hold the warmth and the cold air will condense on the warm pellets. Sealed pallets should be fine, But any open could get moisture build up and if they contact the pellets? The pellets will absord the moisture. But its direct contact, Maybe from the little holes the mills use to let the air out of the bags. Still should only be a minor moisture gain if any.

I don't think this is a major problem like flooding water in the basement is. Or pellets left out in the rain with a busted cover. I really doubt you will see the footballs in the bags just from a little condesation. I think it will take a bit more than that to effect the burning. But you could reduce the BTU's a tad. How much??? I really don't know for sure, To many variables as usual!

Status
Not open for further replies.