1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Woke up to the smell of smoke...

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by GrahamInVa, Feb 12, 2013.

1. GrahamInVa

GrahamInVa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern, Virginia

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. GrahamInVa

Loc:
    Eastern, Virginia
    Yes, that is the OAK you were looking at.Flexible 3" pipe. This is what the OAK looks like from the outside.

The glass has stayed clean all season. (only wiped it once). But obviously after this little mishap she is all black..
    [​IMG]
  3. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT

Hey you need some of my snow!!!!! Seriously don't be bashful, I have plenty.
  4. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    I think if you put Selkirk DT venting on the Harman it would help your issue. It is the only thing I can think of.
  5. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Really? Why do you think that?
  6. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    I am in the process of doing it to my stove because I found the outside air in the morning is heavy with moisture and quite different than the night before. This makes the stove not get enough air to burn the pellets completely. If I could wake up and re-adjust the damper then it would probably be ok. Since I may be dreaming of nice things I am trying to find a better fix. LOL The Selkirk DT heats the burn air so the oxygen remains constant so there would be no need to re-adjust the damper every morning. I will let you know how mine works out.
  7. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    No damper to adjust on a Harman.
    So I'm still not sure that Selkirk dt would fix his problem.
  8. GrahamInVa

Loc:
    Eastern, Virginia
    There is also an argument that on longs runs of the DT there is a potential for creosote buildup due to exhaust temps being cooled too much.

I have Selkirk DT on my Englander upstairs. It's about a 15' run with two 45's. This is my second season heating and I haven't seen any signs of creosote buildup in the vent.
    smoke show likes this.
  9. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    I sure as hell hope that is 4" vent you have there?
  10. GrahamInVa

Loc:
    Eastern, Virginia
    It is.:)
  11. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY

The top of your vent seems to be pointing up instead of straight out is it an optical illusion or does it point up? maybe you are getting water in your pipe ?
  12. GrahamInVa

Loc:
    Eastern, Virginia
    Your right, its pointed up a little. This picture was taken back in August after I installed it. Someone else made the same mention and I have since adjusted it straight out. I'm not sure what my reasoning was for pointing it up in the first place. :rolleyes:
    glenc0322 likes this.
  13. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Harmans ESP allow it to make all necessary adjustments. I dont see the DT being a benefit. Need Root cause.
    GrahamInVa likes this.
  14. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    What mode were you running. I had a problem when I ran in manual mode. The stove called for pellets and overfilled the burn pot to the point that it filled the ash box with burning pellets.
  15. Kherr

Kherr New Member

Loc:
    Nampa, Idaho
    My stove did the very same thing this morning. Mine was during start-up. Came out this morning to burn pot full of pellets, ash pan half full of burning pellets and auger running. I think the fire in the ash pan was producing enough heat to tell the ESP I need more pellets and it just kept feeding them in. Not very smart if you ask me. I just turned it off, cleaned out the ash pan, and walked away. I just cleaned it including the stove pipe on Sunday.
  16. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    Why would he need 4" for that application?
  17. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Just the 3 - 90°'s is 15' EVL. Thats not counting the little horizontal and all that vert inside and out.

If its 10 ft of total vert, then thats 20' EVL (at least).

Max for 3" is 15'
  18. Dgopetactical

Loc:
    York County, Pa

Did not know that, I have 3 foot horizontal 6 vert and 2 90's so I'm 4' over. Hmm wish ESW told me that when I told them what I was doing over the phone.
  19. Dgopetactical

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    Nothing was never said about the extra for the 90's they were just added in the total footage.
  20. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    It may be worse than that on the EVL there is that lovely thing behind the stove, the turn to go out then the turn to go up and then the turn before the end cap I count an EVL of 20 just in 90's then you have the out through the wall, plus two vertical sections so I'd guess without measuring 26 minimum.
    GrahamInVa likes this.
  21. Meneillys

Meneillys Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bernhards Bay, NY
    We had this issue with our PB 105 and it ended up being the ESP probe.
    GrahamInVa likes this.
  22. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    Acetone has been identified as a carcinogen. It should only be used in a well ventilated environment. Also note that residual fumes from Acetone can be explosive, I mean they can rapidly expand when ignited.
    GrahamInVa likes this.
  23. GrahamInVa

Loc:
    Eastern, Virginia
    I was running room temp and auto ignite.
  24. GrahamInVa

Loc:
    Eastern, Virginia
    Interesting... I have a hard time believing my issue was caused by a dirty stove. A bad ESP might would cause this?
  25. Kherr

Kherr New Member

Loc:
    Nampa, Idaho
    Mine was not dirty either. I had a hell of a time this evening getting it started. After it lit, the auger just kept running and running. It did show me how the fire got to the ash pan. By overwhelming the burn pot with unburned pellets and pushing the fire into the ash pan. Long story short, cranked the stove to max in stove temp and ended up with the feed rate back to 2.5, rather than 4. Same pellets I have run for a month. Obviously, they changed mid pallet. So far so good this evening, but manual mode tonight.
    GrahamInVa likes this.