Wolf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There is a gray wolf population north of the Saint Lawrence River (not that far from Maine). There have been rare sightings and I think one carcass of a gray wolf found in Northern Maine. Speculation is that males cast out from a pack occasionally roam south but there is no known breeding population. There is also genetic evidence of some cross breeding of Coyotes and Gray Wolves but its also that coyote population has filled the ecological niche of the wolves along the border in Maine so they have gradually gotten larger to better fill the niche. Southern Maine along the developed coast is loaded with white tail deer but inland the industrial forests are managed for softwood and the white tail population is far lower thus not a lot of feed for a wolf pack. Coyotes are more opportunistic and live off whatever they can find and thus a better fit for the current condition of the woods.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Common Coyote we have here. Plenty of them. They definitely run in packs here. We used to hunt them years ago. They have been grouping up early this season. They were very boisterous just behind my place Sunday night. Made us really jumpy while sitting next to the campfire. Peering out into the darkness;lol

A Wolf is typically a much larger critter.

1631104855592.png

Reactions: Grizzerbear
You can pick up a dead coyote by his back leg with one hand. Their teeth are small. Ears big to hear mice which is a common food source.

There's an excellent episode of Nature "Meet the Coywolf."

Coyotes in woods here just west of Boston. Nextdoor neighbor yard borders Mount Ward conservation area. Took picture of one in yard across the street late afternoon last week. Was eating peaches that had fallen from a tree.

Pack making quite a racket a couple of nights ago in nextdoor neighbor backyard when I was outside on our porch.

seen my share of coyotes but not a wolf. one night i turned onto my street and almost ran over three sitting in a circle in the middle of the street.

We have a place in the woods where I leave chicken entrails, damaged pelts, dead rats, etc. Last year I caught some ravens eating the "guts" and this year we got what appears to be a female coyote on camera. On quiet nights we can hear the small coyote family, but the den sounds like it is a few miles away. This female is very skittish and the first night I put out the camera she was too spooked to eat the leavings after hearing the IR filter drop in front of the camera lens.

Coyote 4 (2).png