Wonder Board-Non Combustible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokoni

Nov 28, 2005
Is wonder board non combustible? I want to use it to enclose the wall behind my stove. How close can I get from a double wall pipe to the wonder board?

Nokoni said:
Is wonder board non combustible? I want to use it to enclose the wall behind my stove. How close can I get from a double wall pipe to the wonder board?

It is essentially non-combustible.

You didn't mention whether your double wall was interior or exterior (class A) double pipe. It also depends on what the wonder board is mounted on....

Wonder board does not reduce clearances unless it is mounted on spacers away from an existing wall or studs.

Sorry, but can't give you a better answer without more details.

The wonder board will be mounted on brick. The pipe is a close clearance connector pipe, inside pipe. It runs from the back of my stove to the connector T of the chimney liner.

Nokoni said:
The wonder board will be mounted on brick. The pipe is a close clearance connector pipe, inside pipe. It runs from the back of my stove to the connector T of the chimney liner.

In a case like this (total non-combustible construction), I would think that the wonderboard could go almost right up to the pipe....I assume you might be facing the WB with tile, etc. in which case, that can also go right up to the pipe. Perhaps you want to leave a little room around the pipe and stuff it with a piece of stove gasket and then a bead of furnance cement around it.

When I had my acetylene torch cutting up a Plow scraper edge nothing happened to the cement board that’s a hell of a lot heat from the torch and molten steel lot more that any heat exposed threw a double wall wood stove combustion pipe, Wait a minute I still have a piece in the garage, Im going out to put the torch on it again. Well after 5430F its still there got red color but did not ignite
I guess it should be ok for wood stove heat

Yes, I will probably face the pipe with one of the ring/plate things so you won't see the hold in the wonderboard. Also, thinking of painting the wonderboard. Is this o.k.? Can I coat it with drywall compound and then paint it?

Status
Not open for further replies.