Wonder why ......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
Every time I look at another post today, I get a notice to check my sig to see if it complies with the rules ..........

I got one too. And I looked at my signature, seems safe. definitely under 350 characters. The 4 lines part may need consolidation but I think I'm ok

In the lower right corner of that box is a link saying to dismiss this notification. After I clicked on it the message disappeared for good.

I got it too, and reluctantly complied. What I had in my signature seemed to fit fine so not sure why I had to reduce it. But then I have learned in my life there are rules and since I am one of those people who have to enforce rules, I can understand and comply.;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I know I edited mine down and get the message whenever I log on. It will go away when everybody complies!!!.

I'm curious now. With the novels of posts that make their way into the database everyday, why the concern with how long a signature is?

I'm curious now. With the novels of posts that make their way into the database everyday, why the concern with how long a signature is?

I would guess bandwidth for one. Does not really matter on the user side as it takes only a few kB more for every page view but if you have a million page views every day that soon becomes an issue.

I know I edited mine down and get the message whenever I log on. It will go away when everybody complies!!!.

Click on "dismiss this message" in the notification box (lower right corner) and it will go away immediately.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Click on "dismiss this message" in the notification box (lower right corner) and it will go away immediately.
Done! Thanks Grisu.

Reactions: Grisu
This is just a reminder that everyone sees....there is no way I can program it to just show for those with long sigs!

We have mentioned the reasons for sig shortening before, but there are quite a few of them! More and more folks are on mobile, for one, and smaller screens make the sigs take up even more room.

We always had sig restrictions - since 2006! When we moved to this new software, the ability to restrict was crude so sigs started getting longer and longer. Now an update to the software allows a better limitation of sigs.

As the posts say, you can link to your profile info if you want to provide a page of information. But there is no reason for the casual surfer to have to read a long sig over and over again...or even scroll past it....in the same thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.