Wonderboard wall protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccady

Oct 25, 2008
Northwest, CT
I'm installing a stove in our living room - Vermont Castings Vigilant. I had to install wonderboard on 1" spacers for another stove in the house. As this stove will be in the living room I would like to remove the existing sheetrock as needed for 36" clearance, replace it with wonderboard and tile over the the wonderboard leaving a closer to flush wall surface. Would this be considered a "non-combustible" surface? Do the fasteners to attach the wonderboard to the wood studs pose a problem even beneath a thinset morter and tile? Maybe two layer of wonderboard? Really trying to avoid the whole spacer deal.

You need the spacers to get the reduction in clearances. If you remove the sheet rock and put the dura rock straight onto the studs you will get zero reduction.

humpin iron said:
You need the spacers to get the reduction in clearances. If you remove the sheet rock and put the dura rock straight onto the studs you will get zero reduction.

I think you get a 1/2" reduction, not worth the effort. The combustible surface is the 2x4 which is 1/2" further away than the sheetrock was. Go with the spacers

The stove manufacturer's documentation is the reference for minimum clearances to combustibles for the stove, for whether or not shielding can be used to reduce those clearances, and for the insulative requirement for the hearth. Rick

EDIT: And no, replacing sheetrock with cement board buys you basically nothing, as previously pointed out.

You have to have the air space in there to get the reduced clearance. The air circulates and hepls to prevent the transfer of the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.