wonderboard...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
i just got this email from the manufacturs of wonderboard...

"½” Wonder is non-combustible and it has an “R” value of 0.134 @ 75 degrees"

well i guess this throws my plans out the window...i'd need 2.5 inches of this stuff to make it slightly work...

however, the r value is at 75 degrees.... what about the temp under a stove.. would that R value raise or lower??

That doesn't jibe with what I've read, I wonder where they got that figure for that board.

Use Durock brand (by USG) instead. A 1" thickness will give you R .52, 1.5" = R .78.

i can't find any places around to purchase Durock.

maybe it's the temp factor? maybe at like 150 degrees it's .268 per 1/2 which puts it at approx .52 at 1 inch??

Do you have a Home Depot or Lowes nearby? Durock is pretty common.

i have multiples of both stores... they looked at me like i was nuts when i asked for Durock Cement board...although most of those workers don't know their left foot front their right...

i just got an email back from wonderboard... they say the R value will decrease with higher temps...

It sounds like they gave you the R value for a 1/4" thickness and not the 1/2" sheet. As long as you get the 1/2" cement board (not the lightweight Wonderboard or Durock) I think the R values are identical. Ask them why Durock is twice the R value for essentially the same product.

Well, here's another chart from a trusted source. My understanding is that wonderboard and durock, both being cement boards, are pretty much interchangeable. Rick

http://chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm

i agree... something doesn't sound right about an R.134

i swear, dealing with people anymore is a pain in the butt..i am sooo frustrated right now

BeGreen.... i called the local Lowes... demanded i speak with the store manager, who personaly looked for the Durock brand and what would you know... THEY CARRY IT...

if i could have got this response the first time it would have saved me a lot of trouble...

i'm putting 3 layers of Durock down and being done with it...

trailblaze said:
...i swear, dealing with people anymore is a pain in the butt..i am sooo frustrated right now...

Hey...we're people. %-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.