Wondering what size woodstove would be appropriate for our old farmhouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

which woodstove would work best in our house?

• Hearthstone Heritage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herthstone Bennington

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to three different stores to look at woodstoves today, which was great because it really helped us narrow down our choices. We decided not to go for the Lopi Leyden or the Harman Oakwood because they are smaller firebox size, but more importantly, you have to manually engage the secondary burn. Also, the non-catalytic secondary burn system was achieved through the brick design in the back and in 3 to 7 years the firebricks would break down and need to be replaced costing between $200 and $300 (so the salesman informed us). The Quadra Fire Isle Royal and the Jotul F 50 TL Rangeley are our top two contendors. The Quadra Fire has the bigger fire box, but the handles are not as easy so manipulate. It is easier to access the fire through the top load (which is what we plan on using the most). The Rangeley seems to be a little more solid of a woodstove and the handles are a bit more user friendly, but it is a little bit more manuvering to get the wood through two holes from the top of the woodstove (and they are a touch smaller). We liked these two the best because of the top loading feature, but also because their secondary burn system is created through welded steel piping which wouldn't need to be replaced really ever, which was a nice bonus. They are both about the same price, so we are stuck in indecision, but leaning towards the Quadra Fire because it is a little bit bigger firebox (3.0 cu. ft. vs the Rangeley's 2.6). Any thoughts? I know a lot of people have already suggested the Rangeley on this site and that is how we came to look at it in the first place. We just want to make sure we are going to be able to keep the house warm enough and we wish we knew which stove would do that the easiest. Decisions, decisions... By the way, if we did have the top vent, I would love to get the Harman TL 300. That was an awesome looking stove. Super convenient features!

So with bigger firebox = ability to load more wood = ability to have longer burn times

Great to hear that you had a productive day and field trip. I really like the Isle Royale as a stove and wanted one for our house too. But for our location it was too radiant a heater and not ideal for our corner install. The Alderlea turned out to be a good fit. However, it's a top vented stove and that won't work for you. The Rangeley is a similar convective design, but rear-vented. That gets my vote, especially since it meets hubby's requirements too. I'm sticking with the Rangeley recommendation.

I don't think the Isle Royal is really any bigger than the Rangeley if you measure the real usable fire box yourself, might even be smaller because it's not square. I'd get the Jotul.

You'd definitely get long burns and good heat with a Blaze King princess which would also deal with your very strong draft that the other stoves may not manage.

Thank you all for you help and comments! The final decision has been made. We are getting the Rangeley. The single door, the more accessable ash pan (and bigger size), the handle for the top load that is firmly attatched to the stove via bolts, and the leg leverlers were the winning factors. That and we wondered if the Quadra-Fire Isle Royal would be too much radiant heat for our little room. I still like the Isle Royal, and they are both good stoves, but I think the Jotul Rangeley will suite our needs a little bit better. Had there just been a few very small features different, we may have gone with the Isle Royal, but I think we will be happy with the Rangeley. Now we just have to go get it!

I think you made the right choice. Let us know how it works out for you.

Congratulations. Please hang around and let us know how this works out for you. Pictures are always appreciated too!

Good luck dairymaid. May that stove serve you well for many, many moons.

Excellent choice.Please post pic's when you get the stove in.

The thing is, if they have been kept warm by a 4 cu ft smoke dragon in a 1400 sq ft home, a Fireview isn’t going to cut it. The original poster readily admits the house is “somewhat draftyâ€.

Farmhouse + “somewhat drafty†+ 4 cu ft smoke dragon = at least a 3 cu ft EPA stove.

No idea why they need rear venting, but if they can get around it, the Englander 30NC, Blaze King, Quadra-fire 5700, Harmon TL300, or the Lopi Liberty is my recommendation. Otherwise, the Isle Royal or the Equinox.

I have my doubts the Leyden, Oakwood, Heritage, or the Bennington would properly heat that place.

Also, making the ash drawer part of your “must haves†is a poor choice in my opinion. Make sure the stove will heat your place properly first. Ash pans are completely over-rated. Of the five stoves I have used (Vigilant, Heritage, Intrepid, Encore, Fireview) 3 had ash pans, two did not. Of the three that have had ash pans, only the Encore seemed worth it. And even then I wouldn’t make it a reason for purchasing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry haven't got the site figured yet.

The Rangeley has a 2.6 sq ft firebox needs only an ash barrier for a hearth and i can't wait to hook ours up in our 1300 sq ft house BUT GUYS,isn't that house bigger than the 1400 sq ft they stated?That house is big.

Bigg_Redd said:
Alderlea T6

I know it's not on your list of possibles, but it should be.

It's a top vent and doesn't fit with their current setup.

I think they made the right choice for their needs. The Rangelely is very similar to the Alderlea in that both are cast iron jacketed steel stoves. But the Jotul has top loading, rear vent and a vastly superior ash collection system. All important points for these folks.

You've made the choice . . . and based on other Rangeley users I think you'll be happy . . . don't forget to post the pic of the install . . . and keep asking questions if you've got them.

Keep me filled in when ya burn,i'll do likewise

dairymaid said:
Thank you all for you help and comments! The final decision has been made. We are getting the Rangeley. The single door, the more accessable ash pan (and bigger size), the handle for the top load that is firmly attatched to the stove via bolts, and the leg leverlers were the winning factors. That and we wondered if the Quadra-Fire Isle Royal would be too much radiant heat for our little room. I still like the Isle Royal, and they are both good stoves, but I think the Jotul Rangeley will suite our needs a little bit better. Had there just been a few very small features different, we may have gone with the Isle Royal, but I think we will be happy with the Rangeley. Now we just have to go get it!
Well Mrs.Dairymaid you made your choice and I pray it goes well for you.Now I'd like to know how are you all going to deal with your glowing pipe when the draft is going good ?That is not a good situation.

I think their glowing pipe situation was more due to the old uncontrolable stove than the chimney.

Bub381 said:
The thing is, if they have been kept warm by a 4 cu ft smoke dragon in a 1400 sq ft home, a Fireview isn’t going to cut it. The original poster readily admits the house is “somewhat draftyâ€.

Farmhouse + “somewhat drafty†+ 4 cu ft smoke dragon = at least a 3 cu ft EPA stove.

No idea why they need rear venting, but if they can get around it, the Englander 30NC, Blaze King, Quadra-fire 5700, Harmon TL300, or the Lopi Liberty is my recommendation. Otherwise, the Isle Royal or the Equinox.

I have my doubts the Leyden, Oakwood, Heritage, or the Bennington would properly heat that place.

Also, making the ash drawer part of your “must haves†is a poor choice in my opinion. Make sure the stove will heat your place properly first. Ash pans are completely over-rated. Of the five stoves I have used (Vigilant, Heritage, Intrepid, Encore, Fireview) 3 had ash pans, two did not. Of the three that have had ash pans, only the Encore seemed worth it. And even then I wouldn’t make it a reason for purchasing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry haven't got the site figured yet.

The Rangeley has a 2.6 sq ft firebox needs only an ash barrier for a hearth and i can't wait to hook ours up in our 1300 sq ft house BUT GUYS,isn't that house bigger than the 1400 sq ft they stated?That house is big.

Bub I hear you.There's a lot of encouragement for them to go with a stove that may be too small.It would be ashame if it turns out to be inadequate.In the past many have asked which stove is best for their home.Some report back and say thanks for the info they recieved and others you don't hear from them about the outcome.I would think it would be hard to report back and say the stove they decided on with the help of others didn't do what they wanted and ended up colder than they wanted to be.

Todd said:
I think their glowing pipe situation was more due to the old uncontrollable stove than the chimney.
Ya Todd that could be however my Mansfield which is connected to a lot of pipe would still sound like a roaring train even with it's air control shut all the way down.The pipe damper remedied that problem.I'm wondering how much control they'll have over that draft even with a new stove.It'll be interesting to see when it's -10-15.

Rich L said:
dairymaid said:
Well Mrs.Dairymaid you made your choice and I pray it goes well for you.Now I'd like to know how are you all going to deal with your glowing pipe when the draft is going good ?That is not a good situation.

They could always splurge and buy a $15 dollar pipe damper. You know, if that is a problem. Not sure why you felt the need for the biting sarcasm.

Rich L said:
Todd said:
I think their glowing pipe situation was more due to the old uncontrollable stove than the chimney.
Ya Todd that could be however my Mansfield which is connected to a lot of pipe would still sound like a roaring train even with it's air control shut all the way down.The pipe damper remedied that problem.I'm wondering how much control they'll have over that draft even with a new stove.It'll be interesting to see when it's -10-15.

I have a Heritage with a straight and tall chimney. Probably measures over 25 feet. Maybe 30. Even when the temps went negative last year it burnt just fine.

BrowningBAR said:
Rich L said:
dairymaid said:

They could always splurge and buy a $15 dollar pipe damper. You know, if that is a problem. Not sure why you felt the need for the biting sarcasm.
Nah.not sarcasm just concern for a dangerous condition.As I reread her post she did say she stayed up until the glowing stopped after turning the stove down.So maybe my concern is unfounded though the pipe damper is a good idea.

IThis place is over 1300 sq ft and i believe our Rangeley will be perfect and they say they are 1400 sq ft and i believe that would be fine but do you fellas think that place is bigger than 1400? Just wanna make sure before they buy.Kinda repeating myself i guess.lol I'll stop.I'm thinking FF Jake's stove would be more their size by judging the picture posted,maybe not.I am new to this so just an opinion.Hope they get what they need.If this is for primary heat i'd remeasure the house

They say it's 1400 sq ft so that's what I'm going by. Besides, that old Ashley may be a 4 cu ft stove but if you look at the pics of the fire box you can see why the pipe would turn red, no baffle and a straight shot to the chimney. All the heat went straight up the chimney. A new EPA stove half that size will put out more heat into the house than that old thing did.

Status
Not open for further replies.