Wondering what size woodstove would be appropriate for our old farmhouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

which woodstove would work best in our house?

• Hearthstone Heritage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herthstone Bennington

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got ya,and it was a short distance to the wall. AGREED!

Rich L said:
BrowningBAR said:
Rich L said:
dairymaid said:
Thank you all for you help and comments! The final decision has been made. We are getting the Rangeley. The single door, the more accessable ash pan (and bigger size), the handle for the top load that is firmly attatched to the stove via bolts, and the leg leverlers were the winning factors. That and we wondered if the Quadra-Fire Isle Royal would be too much radiant heat for our little room. I still like the Isle Royal, and they are both good stoves, but I think the Jotul Rangeley will suite our needs a little bit better. Had there just been a few very small features different, we may have gone with the Isle Royal, but I think we will be happy with the Rangeley. Now we just have to go get it!
Well Mrs.Dairymaid you made your choice and I pray it goes well for you.Now I'd like to know how are you all going to deal with your glowing pipe when the draft is going good ?That is not a good situation.

They could always splurge and buy a $15 dollar pipe damper. You know, if that is a problem. Not sure why you felt the need for the biting sarcasm.
Nah.not sarcasm just concern for a dangerous condition.As I reread her post she did say she stayed up until the glowing stopped after turning the stove down.So maybe my concern is unfounded though the pipe damper is a good idea.

I think the glowing pipe will be a thing of the past. Good to watch out for, but I suspect the flue temp will be a lot cooler, especially if the old Ashely has developed air leaks.

Growing up we had i believe a Montgomery Ward,looked like the Ashley but was front loading and double doors.That thing used to get so hot.It had bolt holes and it got so much air.Dangerous,we bubbled the wood work in that old house.

Status
Not open for further replies.