1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wonderous Breakthrough

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BS-N, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BS-N

BS-N New Member

Loc:
    Northeastern Pennsylvania
    I had an idea...set up a webcam and point it at my stove. Then, when I am at work, I could log in and view it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ok. That did it. I nominate you for the first charter membership in Woodburners Anonymous.
  3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    It's just a matter of time before you build a wireless-controlled robot that can stoke it for you on demand. "Hey BS-N, get back to work." "Not now, I'm stoking my wood stove."
  4. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    Remote stoking could actually pretty damn handy with something like a gravity feed coal stove.

Say you'll be real late or not come back until a day or two later than expected. Log on, shake the grates and adjust the air from wherever you are and know that you'll come home to a warm house.

hrmmmmmm
  5. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    shaddup!

:p
  6. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I second that. Pellets are too easy. If Pellets were made out of Elm would they be harder to use?

I think so...
  7. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Hey! You stole my idea! :)

I was thinking of asking Craig if his server could support a few of these for those of us who were interested in trying it. I'd need a longer USB cable until wireless web cams come down in price. I'm not sure what software would be required on Craig's server. I once used a 'free trial' service that came with my web cam before the novelty wore off. Then I started thinking about how weird it was to be broadcasting 'Mo staring at his monitor' to a bunch of strangers. :blank:

But I have to say that it was interesting watching others, if not a bit unnerving.

I've seen a bunch of 'Aquarium Cams' and lots of other 'Location Cams'. I think 'Stove Cams' would be cool. Craig? What say you?
  8. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

What about this call up your home have it pickup after a few rings, over speaker phone tell rover to put two more logs in
    Ruff ruff
  9. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I can just picture it now. All of the folks on HearthNet..."Hey Craig...Will ya go home and load a couple more logs...fire's gettin low! Craig, HEY CRAIG..." This about every 4 hours...

So would these web cams be of all different sorts of stoves? Maybe we could have one for all categories of Hearth appliances:

- The Fireplace cam...Complete with sleeping dogs.
    - The Fireplace insert cam...Nice shot up at the secondary burn...Cats sleeping near by.
    - The Free standing cam... (one each of cast iron, Steel, and Soap stone) Maybe we could use a Woodstock stove in order to cover catalytic stoves. Of course each would have the all important and exciting steamer on top.
    - The Russian or Finish fireplace. Scheduled firings at 7am and 10pm.
    - The Outdoor wood boiler cam. (login required and Proof of non-EPA employment)
    - The Coal stove cams (hand fired and stokers)
    - The Pellet stove. With BTU output graphs, temp read out, efficiency readouts (all digital of course) and scheduled loading times.
    - The Corn Stove. Same as Pellet, but with hilighted clinker clean outs.

Craig...I think there's gold in them thar cams...Charge a few dollar subscription fee. This could be bigger than ebay and Runscape combined!!
  10. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    BS'N,

Or, you can do what I do: work from home and have a webcam installed in your office so the boss can keep an eye on you. Little does he know that's a cardboard cut-out of me working away at the computer while I'm out stoking the boiler or splitting wood.
  11. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I like this idea. One could even have an infrared webcam so that you could see how it's burning and heating. Now I might have to add a couple servos on the dampers and ...
  12. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    A classic Web Service app, similar to weather bug. "Fire bug"?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.