wonderwood smoke baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HoosierHillJack

Jan 14, 2017
Hoosier Hills
I just installed a 2008 us stove wonderwood stove and I wasn't getting as much heat as expected out of it so I added a smoke baffle that's a piece of fire brick from a boiler. Its kept flames from going straight out the flue. The heat output is notably increased. Stove top thermometer is on average around 25 degrees Fahrenheit higher using wood from the same tree and same sized splits. Hopefully this info with help out other wood burners.

Attachments

• IMAG01354.jpg
    IMAG01354.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 317
  • IMAG01355.jpg
    IMAG01355.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 278
Reactions: KimiBwoah
This would be perfect for my USSC Wonderluxe too. Nice and thanks for sharing. Would it help to put a piece of plate steel the same length underneath in case the brick cracks?

Reactions: HoosierHillJack
I was planning on using some steel plate originally but I measured my fire brick pile and the piece I used measured out perfect. I used a regular us stove fire brick to prop up the bigger piece. I figured the reflected heat off the baffle might eventually weaken the far side wall causing it to bow so propping it up with the brick helps insulate it some.

Reactions: KimiBwoah
Hi, you may want to go to the woodstove classic section and under the fisher stove section look you the proper way to measure the stove box and build a steel baffle leaving room for secondary light off and not affect your draft. The moderator is Coaly and he is very knowledgeable, while he deals with mainly fisher stoves, I think the baffle info can apply to other stoves also.

Hi, you may want to go to the woodstove classic section and under the fisher stove section look you the proper way to measure the stove box and build a steel baffle leaving room for secondary light off and not affect your draft. The moderator is Coaly and he is very knowledgeable, while he deals with mainly fisher stoves, I think the baffle info can apply to other stoves also.
The problem with the wonder wood is that the stove body is made from pretty thin metal I would not recommend attaching anything to the sides. I think his approach is a good one. And you wont get much secondary burning without introducing air to the smoke there.

Maybe I used the wrong term, no sec reburn through air tubes, but introducing a properly sized baffle to make firebox temps hotter to burn cleaner and keep more heat in the stove vs going out the flue without affecting draft.

My thoughts exactly. These stoves are prone to warping due to the light gauge sheet metal construction. Mine drafts just fine still and I have more piece of mind now that I don't have direct flames shooting up my stove pipe. I got a good deal on the stove and class a pipe plus I like the fact it has heat shields to protect my little boy.

I have noticed a small increase in heat with the baffle. My low quality wood is probably affecting any gains I might notice. I just bought the house and stove and have been cutting dead standing ash trees.