Won't be burning wood next year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks BG! I won't update now, I'd need to update daily. Things are going smooth so far and we are travelling as safely as possible lol.

the pools are hits as was the earth science museum in Sudbury!!! Where in NW Ontario do you live??

A

Travelling on the TransCanada you will miss us (takes you through Dryden, Kenora and on the Manitoba). Little lake north of Emo, ON off 11/71. You can see the US (northern Minnesota) across the river from Emo.

I enjoy the drive until you hit around Winnipeg ... prairies and I find the flat boring.;)

haha. I will think of you when I drive by tomorrow. I am planning on making it to Winnipeg-ish. Then to Regina, then the Rockies. I can't wait to show the kids the Rockies!!@

haha. I will think of you when I drive by tomorrow. I am planning on making it to Winnipeg-ish. Then to Regina, then the Rockies. I can't wait to show the kids the Rockies!!@
May have been in Winnipeg at the same time;lol Doctor appt for my daughter and helping my son move. Will be heading to Thunder Bay soon to help another son move there. Tired of being on the road...

Not a great fan of some of the passes through the Rockies... really hate the ones where the road is right on the edge of the mountain (Bears Tooth Pass, Montana going into Yellowstone). OK when on solid ground but nervous in the car;em Did get to see a Big Horn ram when going through Glacier National though==c

Safe travels for you and yours!

have really enjoyed your blog. enjoy your diminishing sunlight. when will you go dark this fall?(not at work but in daily life!) how have you prepped the kids for 24 hrs with no sun? best of luck and be safe.

Thanks Doug. I received yoir commrnt through the blog but lost track of messages and didn't get a chance ti write back.

It is still daylight for a few more months. In fact it gets dark at 10 pm right now.

We haven't prepped the kids yet. We have sone melatonin supplements and vitamin d. Should be OK.

What a drive..the Dempster highway was unreal. But i dont think i will do it this winter. Too many variables that i can't control IE weather. It can change suddenly in any of the 3 mountain passes.....and you coild be stuck if they close the roads which they can do at 3 gates...

A

Saw those types of gates while travelling in the western US this summer; makes you think about the problems and possibilities. The pass into Yellowstone was closed the day after we went through due to snow... in July_g

Hope you have the emergency kit in the vehicle ... candles, blanket, shovel, quick energy foods that can survive a freeze ... water when travelling.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Hey Andrew just catching up here at Hearth after the summer. Great news you getting the post you hoped for. If you see this, wishing you all the best!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and family. hopefuly it is a day off for you.
Hey Doug! Thanks for the wishes. Unfortunately it was not a day off for me but that is OK. We are quite short staffed at the moment and I am working 50% night shifts. Needless to say this was a big professional move for me: from running an office and working Monday-Friday to being a team leader and working all kinds of shifts. But I love it.

Hey Andrew just catching up here at Hearth after the summer. Great news you getting the post you hoped for. If you see this, wishing you all the best!

Yeah it certainly worked out! How are things in your neck of the woods?

I'm kind of envious for the light shows you folks will be seeing. Looks like you have already had a nice taste of one.
https://northernadventure.org/2016/10/04/they-have-arrived/
BG I replied directly to your personal email addy and am not sure if you received a response. The Northern Lights have been insane. They are forecasting some serious solar storms to be hitting us tomorrow. Luckily I am off and will try to snap some nice pictures. I can't believe how intense they are. When I am working, I let my coworkers drive while I stick my head out the vehicle windows like a puppy. lol

On another note, there is a local store that sells BK stoves! Very reasonable prices too. The only downer is that all there is for wood up here is small, skinny black spruce. lol.

A co-worker of mine just bought a house that has a BK King in it. I am going to refer him to this site so he can learn more. He didn't know it had a CAT, he downloaded the manual and is learning more and more on a daily basis.

A

BG I replied directly to your personal email addy and am not sure if you received a response. The Northern Lights have been insane. They are forecasting some serious solar storms to be hitting us tomorrow. Luckily I am off and will try to snap some nice pictures. I can't believe how intense they are. When I am working, I let my coworkers drive while I stick my head out the vehicle windows like a puppy. lol

On another note, there is a local store that sells BK stoves! Very reasonable prices too. The only downer is that all there is for wood up here is small, skinny black spruce. lol.

A co-worker of mine just bought a house that has a BK King in it. I am going to refer him to this site so he can learn more. He didn't know it had a CAT, he downloaded the manual and is learning more and more on a daily basis.
Hey Andrew. No, the email didn't come through for some reason. I am really enjoying the pics and just a bit envious of the light show you are seeing. It will only get better. I have been lucky enough to catch them a couple times when I lived back east. They were so beautiful that I expected to hear sound or music.

Nice that you are helping folks burn right up there too. Good job!

How far south before you get into better trees as you would be on the edge of the tundra there?

Great Northern lights! We've only seen them filling the whole sky here once over 12 years ago. Nowhere near that intensity though. Glad to hear you and the family are enjoying the northern adventure!

Hey Andrew. No, the email didn't come through for some reason. I am really enjoying the pics and just a bit envious of the light show you are seeing. It will only get better. I have been lucky enough to catch them a couple times when I lived back east. They were so beautiful that I expected to hear sound or music.

Nice that you are helping folks burn right up there too. Good job!
Thanks BG. I was soooo excited to see a BK dealer and find out I have a co-worker with a BK and knew nothing about it's operation. He didn't even know it had a CAT!

How far south before you get into better trees as you would be on the edge of the tundra there?

Great Northern lights! We've only seen them filling the whole sky here once over 12 years ago. Nowhere near that intensity though. Glad to hear you and the family are enjoying the northern adventure!

Yes we are enjoying it. Personally I am looking forward to the winter: winter in the Arctic is like summer in Florida: that's when all the fun goes on.

A

Reactions: Lake Girl
I agree John. I don't understand why people say it's sooo nice in the summer: half of the places I have lived in my lifetime have such a bad blackfly and mosquito population that you can't enjoy the outdoors for 6-7 weeks!

Yes, it's now the time of the midnight sun and all night parties.

Reactions: Ashful