Won't stop raining!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
It's been raining here for days, which really sucks because I only had enough material to cover about 1/3 of my stacks. At least that's the stuff that will go in the basement first. The forecast for the next 10 days doesn't look too great either. Six out of 10 days have rain forecasted. I think I'll try to get the covered stacks moved this week and then cover the other stuff and hope for a couple dry days.

Around this time of year, rain turns to wet snow and then it freezes entombing the woodpile in a solid block of ice. I've had rain soaked leaky blue tarps freeze solid to the wood and had to shred the tarp to get at the wood. Was finding those blue poly strings in the house for years afterward.

Did I ever say I really like having a woodshed?

I've got pieces of metal roofing covering the one portion. I thought about an old leaky blue tarp I had laying in the pile, but decided against it. Once I get the wood home, the stuff sitting outside will have a lumber tarp or two put over it, but the sides will be exposed. Perhaps I should prop up the sides so that the pile is protected from the top but the wind can dry off the rain soaked layer.

LLigetfa said:
Around this time of year, rain turns to wet snow and then it freezes entombing the woodpile in a solid block of ice. I've had rain soaked leaky blue tarps freeze solid to the wood and had to shred the tarp to get at the wood.

And the tarps seem to leak worse after you hit the ice hard enough with the steel bar/maul to break it loose. The worst part of it is that you do all that only to find that the seasoned wood that guy sold you hisses the entire time it is in the stove and won't keep the house warm.

SolarAndWood said:
LLigetfa said:
Around this time of year, rain turns to wet snow and then it freezes entombing the woodpile in a solid block of ice. I've had rain soaked leaky blue tarps freeze solid to the wood and had to shred the tarp to get at the wood.

And the tarps seem to leak worse after you hit the ice hard enough with the steel bar/maul to break it loose. The worst part of it is that you do all that only to find that the seasoned wood that guy sold you hisses the entire time it is in the stove and won't keep the house warm.

why cover it then?

smokinjay said:
why cover it then?

Very good question. Year 1 lessons were 1 dont buy wood expecting to burn it that winter and 2 keep wood under a roof after it is dry. Today I have 10 cord stacked under a roof for this winter, 5 cord split in the heap and another 8 cord of rounds ready to be split and thrown on the heap. And of course the pile of chunks and cutoffs.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
why cover it then?

Very good question. Year 1 lessons were 1 dont buy wood expecting to burn it that winter and 2 keep wood under a roof after it is dry. Today I have 10 cord stacked under a roof for this winter, 5 cord split in the heap and another 8 cord of rounds ready to be split and thrown on the heap. And of course the pile of chunks and cutoffs.

lol now you cooking

Our forecast is 6 days of rain two days sun then more rain. I'm still burning the wood though. Thank goodness it is still the shoulder season.

ikessky said:
It's been raining here for days, which really sucks because I only had enough material to cover about 1/3 of my stacks. At least that's the stuff that will go in the basement first. The forecast for the next 10 days doesn't look too great either. Six out of 10 days have rain forecasted. I think I'll try to get the covered stacks moved this week and then cover the other stuff and hope for a couple dry days.

I hear you. First we couldn't buy a drop of water from the sky, now we rarely see the sun. We haven't got a lot of rain, just persistent. I have some outdoor work that absolutely has to be finished soon plus I'd like to get some hunting in. This weather makes it difficult for both.

Hopefully we'll get some Indian Summer soon.

I've got around 10 cord in the shed staying nice and dry, 2 cord stacked on pallets with EPDM rubber on top of it, 2 more cord stacked on pallets uncovered, 1 cord stacked as the perimeter of my uber-heap and another cord heaped.

I learned my lesson years ago not to use blue tarps and switched to silver. I also learned to lay purlins under the tarp on top of my stacks so I could pull out most of the wood without disturbing the tarp.

Over an inch of rain again today. I don't think we've seen the sun in a week or more! Starting to think that I'll have to run a fan and dehumidifier in the wood room for a couple days after throwing in a couple cords!

ikessky, some weather forecasters are starting to change their minds. There is a major storm forecast for late this week and now they are thinking northern WI and MN might get some snow from this one. So there is your rain relief! lol

The weather channel doesn't know what to think. Yesterday it was snow from Sat-Monday. Now they are saying sun until Monday, chance of snow on Monday and then another few days of sun, and then more rain.

ikessky said:

We covered all ours in Sept. (Tops Only) because it was raining all the time and about a week after we covered the wood it was nice out for 3 weeks. Moisture reading are from 10 - 20 percent taken last weekend (Cherry) . I have maple and beech 10 to 15 percent.

Zap

its pouring rain here. I'm using used discarded green house plastic cut to fit on top of the stacks. years ago if the forecast looked dry for a week id uncover the top . I'm not sure how thick this stuff is but the snow and ice slide right off it when i peel it back. id love a wood shed some day, im thinking a medium garden storage shed reinforced and vented with one of those whirly gig vent things on top. till then ill just dodge the rain best i can. Pete

It's been drizzling for days and now it's turning to sleet. The weather guessers are calling for snow on Saturday. Still no wood fires but I saw the wife tossed some paper in the stove so expect she might break down and ask for a fire soon.

Huge rain from Texas into the NE. Forecasting around 6" of rain around the Ohio River.

Fortunately it is mostly south of us. We don't need that now.

What were you doing all summer when it was dry -- I was irrigating?

Sting said:
What were you doing all summer when it was dry -- I was irrigating?
Cutting and stacking more wood! ;-P I'll tell you like I tell my kids. "Dad doesn't get a summer vacation!" The honey-do list was exceptionally long this year, so I'm way behind. Hopefully this winter I'll be able to sit and enjoy a warm house!

Status
Not open for further replies.