Woo-Hoo!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$8K? :eek:

Ouch. Congrats on the payoff, though. We did the same thing. No debts feels very good.

I think I've got another 2 years.

Way to go Daksy that and super moderator, you are having a hell of year! I also have 2 years to go. My taxes are only $4500

Geez. I can only HOPE to live long enough for that to happen...

Yeah, the problem is that once the money starts flowing, your testostorone STOPS flowing......so hang gliding and mountain climbing is out of the picture. I can spend some money sailing...
;)

Reactions: Curly
It looks like a big nooooo for the Powerball for any of us around here

Yeah, the problem is that once the money starts flowing, your testostorone STOPS flowing......so hang gliding and mountain climbing is out of the picture. I can spend some money sailing...
;)

There's STILL my Ultra. With the idiots in their cages on the same roads, I get plenty of Adrenaline bursts. That kinda works like "Replacement Testosterone Therapy"...

Reactions: Curly and PapaDave
It's not like we get a lot for our taxes, right?

You would know, neighbor. Plowed roads & a street light where my street intersects Burden Lake Rd.
No trash pickup. Sewer is taxed & the grinder pump is powered by MY electrical panel. I guess I could go up to the High School & see if I could jog around the track without keeling over...

Wow congrats daks! We just did a refi here, only 30 years to go :(

Wow congrats daks! We just did a refi here, only 30 years to go :(

Yow. 30 years. Well, I bought the house 27 years ago & it took THREE refinances to get the mortgage down to an acceptable rate. 1985 the Interest Rate was 11.5% for a 30-year loan!!! I paid two years at about $750 a month & the principle went down $200. Refied once at 9.3% in 93 (20 years) & then another at 4.75% in 99 (15 years)...All done.

Congrats.

Yow. 30 years. Well, I bought the house 27 years ago & it took THREE refinances to get the mortgage down to an acceptable rate. 1985 the Interest Rate was 11.5% for a 30-year loan!!! I paid two years at about $750 a month & the principle went down $200. Refied once at 9.3% in 93 (20 years) & then another at 4.75% in 99 (15 years)...All done.

Don't feel bad for me we only bought the house 3 years ago. The rates for a 15 year were not low enough to make that doable, but going to a new 30 cut our rate from 4.75 to 3.5% AND let us drop the PMI and escrows. All told its saving us more per month than Ive gotten in raises the last few years :)

Figure that once the kids are in school and my wife goes back to work we will start paying extra into the monthly and aim to shavea few years off it.

Yippie-I-Ay!! Wunderful, Daksy. Now, don't be going out and get some mid-life crisis vehicle just cuz you don't have a mortgage.;)

With any luck this barn will be paid off in January. Congrats Daks.

Great! I have about 4-5 years (max) left on the cottage. I always try to makae the monthly and add a little extra to be applied to the principal at that point. Makes quite a difference that way. I hear you about the jump start for the heart from the motorists while on the bike. Around here, it seems that deer are more of a problem, though. Although I've had my share of bad driver encounters also. Ride safe.

Congrats dak!

pen

Congrats! I can't wait to do that.

We're close to paying off the Old House, but a few years out on the Cottage (took a home equity on the Old House to buy it along with savings). Once we get the Cottage fixed up we're going to go through the Old House and fix all the stuff we never finished while living there and rent it out. THEN we should be able to pay off that mortgage and the home equity in 2-3 years since we bought that place cheap and we'll just apply most of the rent and the $$ we save from not paying utility bills right to the principle on the loans while continuing to pay the regular payments. We paid into the principle on the Old House many times over the past 15 years since we bought it, so we'll pay off well before the 30 years on that loan are up.

We're lucky with taxes, both places are small (about 850 and 700 sq feet) w/o central heat so we're not assessed too high-I think the Old House runs about $1,900 a year and the Cottage about $2,200.

House has been paid off for about 4 years, my ratted and rusted out truck for over 6 years. The Dragon Lady has a small car payment and a little bit yet on her kitchen remodel. Man am I glad that I don't have any payments at my age (56). Kids are gone wife has a good job with Bennies (35 years at same place),and my hours are down to 60 hours a week! Golden years my ass!

Gary

Congrats. We'll also be starting a new 30 year refi soon. We're 9 years into the first 30, but the lower rate will be worth it. We can pay off in the same time and spend less money.

Reactions: DAKSY
DAKSY, you give me hope.

Bought in 2005, second refi was last year into a 15 yr product....14 years to go. Getting (slightly) itchy to do another 15 yr refi....current quotes are 2.375% But they could go lower yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.