Wood all over the place and I can't touch it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
This is the time of year that I live for. Cool, crisp Autumn days. This is my off season. I travel for a living and am gone from home up to 150 days a year. A friend of mine is a ranch manager and has given me access to several large oaks recently downed in storms. A neighbor down the road has a huge oak that fell recently right in the corner of his property next to the road. Easy pickin's. I've spotted two burn piles near here with freshly cut hickory and oak already bucked. And I have some good standing dead and storm damaged trees on my own property. Enough wood to keep me busy for a month and the fireplace going for a few years with our moderate winters here in Texas.

The problem? I broke my *$%(#(@* ankle a couple of weeks ago hanging a tire swing for my granddaughter. And apparently there is a bone chip in the ankle joint that must be surgically removed, so I'm going to be unable to pick up a chain saw or a maul for a few weeks at best. I have a new Stihl 390 with a muffler mod and a 16 inch bar, and a brand new Fiskars SS begging for me to lay hands on 'em. Fortunately, most of that wood is not going anywhere. I just hate to lose this great time of year to be outside working.

On a side note.... that tire swing I hung? The tire came off my son's 65 Mustang that we restored together for his first car when he was 16 years old. I saved two of the tires off of it and sixteen years later, one of them has become a tire swing for his daughter. It hangs under a huge, old oak in our front yard. Pretty cool, huh?

Sorry to hear about your ankle. That must really hurt. At least it happened during a worth endeavor! Neat story about the car and the tire. Now, every time you push her you can think about how it all came about.

Kenster, here's wishing you a speedy recovery. I can certainly understand your frustrations. I'd also suggest you contact each of these people and explain your circumstances so that hopefully the wood will still be waiting for you when you recover. If you are fortunate, you might get a walking cast...but you'll still need some help.

thanks for sharing this great story. wishing you a speedy recovery and hopefully the weather will cooperate when you are ready to do your tree work. pete

Best of luck with the ankle healing and getting active again, broke my right ankle playing basketball, I remember those days well. Pain meds are the only way to sanity for the first few weeks.

Its cool (pun intended) how much more enjoyable splitting wood is in the crisp fall weather, though it always makes me feel like I'm late. Hope you are able to get out again before it gets too cold.

The tire history there is too cool. I've always wanted to find a 73 Super Beetle to restore with my Dad. He got rid of his when my sister was born to buy a bigger car. One day I'll pull up his driveway in one and hand him the keys to it, hopefully either in daily driver condition or loaded down with parts ready to start work.

Thanks, guys, for the support and good wishes.

Best wishes with the ankle and thanks for the tire story.

Get well soon Kenster.

Status
Not open for further replies.