Wood and burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattd81

Nov 21, 2007
ma
Just got a jotul 3cb! What type of wood should i burn? I was thinking oak would be good? People have said the burn time is only 4 hrs which is not even close to the 7max jotul claims?

mattd81 said:
Just got a jotul 3cb! What type of wood should i burn? I was thinking oak would be good? People have said the burn time is only 4 hrs which is not even close to the 7max jotul claims?

Availability will probably determine what wood you will be burning. OAK is wonderful and you are going to be purchasing some at the height of the season it appears.

4 Hours is for a normal burn for an efficient stove. When you load up the stove for the night and wog it down you should get 5-6 hours of burn and a decent coal bed in the AM.

Good luck and welcome aboard,
Jim

Keep in mind that "burn time," as used by all manufacturers, does not mean the time that you actually see flames, or wood burning. It is the time that the stove can go between loads of wood and still restart from coals. Basically, burn time means how much time from when I load the stove, to when I still have decent coals and some heat left over.

-- Mike

Depends on the quality of your wood and the size of your fire box. With my Quad 4300( 2.4 fire box ) and loaded with good oak I can go 10 hours and still have a nice coal bed ( If I havent taken out to much ash the day before)

My advice is when you are around the house to just put in enough wood to keep the temp you desire. This will take experimentation but you will get the hang of it. Setting a full box of wood at night is another period where you will try diffferent options. Even when you share the same stove as your neighbor they will function differently because of many factors.

I see many new stove owners burn away tons of wood because they want that stove blazing. It doesn't make sense since you are spending time (aka $s) and blowing away most of those $s up the chimney.

Slow, small and easy burns during the time you are at home and then loading the box at night, getting it hot and shutting it down will get you even temps in the home and save you $s in purchasing firewood.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

If you pack the remaining coals over the primary air inlets before you reload it, it will help get you longer burns too.

Status
Not open for further replies.