Wood and Electric setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet

Nov 11, 2008
Canada
I am thinking about replacing my oil boiler with an electric . I have a New yorker wf100 wood boiler and an oil boiler installed now . The wood boiler is set up so as to keep the oil boiler from operating when the temperature is up to 180 degrees . It has a pump that circulates the water from its output to the input of the oil boiler and through the oil boiler . The output of the oil boiler is conected to the input of the wood boiler . When the temp gets up to 180 the pump cuts in and circulates the water through the wood and oil boiler . If the thermostat calls for heat the oil circulator pump cuts in and circulates the water through the radiators for heat . My question is What is the best setup to hook up the electric boiler to the wood ? Water flowing through the electric and back through the wood or some other way to do it ? I would like to have the electric set up to work alone and not have to heat the wood boiler when not burning wood . If anyone have any ideas on what to do or not to do it will help me alot . Thanks Barry

Does your utility offer reduced rate cost for off peak hours? If so you may want to consider an electric unit that Garn is offering. It works on the same principal of storage as a Garn wood burner only it's made specifically for electric use. The storage tank comes in various capacities and KW inputs. It sits outside the house and hydronic lines are piped in just like an outdoor wood burner. The principal of operation is that you "charge" the storage tank with off peak power which in some cases is less than half normal rates, then use the stored heat through the day. It's called the Garn ETS and I think it will be on their new website when that comes on line soon.

I should have mentioned that I have already purchased a used Hydra 18kw electric boiler . I haven't got around to plumbing it in as I am still using the oil and wood until my oil tank is empty . The weather is warmer now so I am hoping to get it installed this summer to be ready for next winter . I just hope that I have made the right desision in removing the oil unit as it works ok and my oil tank is certified until 2025 . The only problem is my oil boiler leaks when shut down and the water temperature cools down so in the summer months I have to let it run on the oil to prevent that from happening . I'm not sure if the electric boiler can be plumbed in to work like my oil boiler or not . Maybe it can only be used as a stand alone unit . I can't seem to find any plumbing diagram of it hooked up as a wood / electric combination . I have a friend with an electric boiler only unit hooked up and he is pleased with it . He isn't into the burning wood idea . If anyone has a diagram or pictures of an electric / wood combination setup and would send it to me, it would be great help . Anyone with any suggestions , tips or ideas also would help . I am not sure if it will work or what the pros or cons of the setup would be . Thanks again . Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.