wood ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
in all the years i've burned i have never seen this. this picture is a cold ash. i know it looks like a coal, but it isn't. it's ice cold. is this a type of wood that make the ash red or just a certain condition? sorry i tried to take a real close picture and got it to close and it blurred.

Attachments

• Picture 004a.jpg
    Picture 004a.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 242
It's a matter of temperature. If you can get the ash really hot, it well get molten and form what some people call clinker. It is not real clinker as in the sense of coal burners. I get some hard lumps form in front of the doghouse where the zipper air blasts it.

guess i've been burning hot. the whole ash layer gets hard and crusty after about 4 days of burning. it was just this time almost the whole ash bed was red and i have never seen or heard of anything like that.

Ive noticed that red ash and coals from cord of white ash i have been burning. Always did wonder why some pieces do it and other do not..

Devon

fbelec said:
guess i've been burning hot. the whole ash layer gets hard and crusty after about 4 days of burning. it was just this time almost the whole ash bed was red and i have never seen or heard of anything like that.

+1
I get that compacted layer, reddish powder with the underside grayish ash with a few small chunks of unburned charcoal.
If the charcoal pieces get into the hot coals pile it, it burns,
Maybe it's charcoal with some of MN's random minerals to make it red.

Status
Not open for further replies.