Wood boiler add on question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got finished hooking up a riteway wood boiler in my house. It seems to work really well so far. I put an electric blower on the boiler to supply air to the fire to get the water up to temp and when it does the blower turns off. My question is, Is there a way to control the blower so it turns off completely once the water in the boiler cools down (such as when the fire is out)? It is supposed to turn on when the temp of the water goes below 160 to bring the fire back to life and then turn off once the water is up to temp.

I just don't want the blower running all day if the fire goes out completely. Right now the blower is controlled from the aquastat. Im new to this whole thing so any ideas would be helpful. thanks.

Second question is this. I have a second thermostat wired up in conjunction to the thermostat that controls my gas furnace. I was wondering if there was also a way to keep the fan from coming on once the boiler water becomes too cool (such as when the fire is out) to heat the house. I know the gas furnace will kick in eventually, but i keep the boiler thermostat a little higher than the other so if the fire is out and the water is cool the fan will run all day because the boiler thermostat never comes up to the temp it is set at.

Hope i am making sense but any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks, newbe

Hi bwolfgti and welcome top the forum,

"Second question is this. I have a second thermostat wired up in conjunction to the thermostat that controls my gas furnace. I was wondering if there was also a way to keep the fan from coming on once the boiler water becomes too cool (such as when the fire is out) to heat the house. I know the gas furnace will kick in eventually, but i keep the boiler thermostat a little higher than the other so if the fire is out and the water is cool the fan will run all day because the boiler thermostat never comes up to the temp it is set at.

Hope i am making sense but any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks, newbe "

Certain aquastats can be used to control high or low temperatures and will do what you are asking. Just set it to turn off at the low temp you want. For question one the same thing applies but you would probably want a manual by-pass switch that would allow you to re-light your and run your boiler until the temperature gets high enough so you can switch back to auto. There may even be an after market control you could use but I don't know one to suggest for your boiler.

Certain aquastats can be used to control high or low temperatures and will do what you are asking. Just set it to turn off at the low temp you want. For question one the same thing applies but you would probably want a manual by-pass switch that would allow you to re-light your and run your boiler until the temperature gets high enough so you can switch back to auto. There may even be an after market control you could use but I don't know one to suggest for your boiler.[/quote]

Where is a good place to buy aquastats that would fit my need?

bwolfgti said:
Where is a good place to buy aquastats that would fit my need?

One of my favorites is the http://www.pexsupply.com/product_dtl.asp?pID=1738&brand=Honeywell&cID=294 which can be strapped on and used as either a high limit or low limit. You could set it up as a low limit and hook it up to your draft fan and other fan directly or separated with relays like this one http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=Z787-ND . You could also wire in a simple on/off light switch in order to bypass as suggested above.

bwolfgti,
A simple, cheap, fairly effective solution would be to wire a simple timer in series (upstream) of the low temperature limit switch you're using for the fan. You set the timer for the time you think it will take the fire to run and add an hour or so. I'm using this approach on my draft door to prevent heat loss up the stack after the fire is out. Not perfect, but simple,cheap and fairly effective. I think an Intermatic 6hr or 12hr timer is about $29 at HD.

Mole

I am just going to forget about the blower on the boiler, cause that doesn't really matter if that runs if the fire is out. I did buy a honeywell l6006c aquastat that i can strap onto the pipe going into the heat exchanger so the furnace fan wont be running if the water cools down once the fire is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.