wood boiler add on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdubs20

Nov 2, 2014
Northern NY
I have been thinking about putting a wood boiler add on in my garage but I am new to wood boiler add ons. What is a good brand that I should be looking at? It will be tied into a oil boiler that is in my basement.

There is no one brand to answer that question with - there are a lot of them.

Do you burn wood now? Most important thing with a boiler is good dry wood - so you should have next years wood done up & ready the year before. Boilers also work best when burned flat out until the fuel is gone - so not the best if tied to a heat load that won't use much of the heat. That can be accomplished by also putting in storage with the boiler - gasifying boilers are the best, but a non-gasifying one that uses tubes for heat exchanging might be adequate with storage. You might find a used one locally.

So lots to consider - check out what people are using here & how, most have their boiler types in their sigs. The posting really tails off in the non-heating months, but there is a ton of good info to search through already.

Is your insurance person OK with burning wood in the garage? Most aren't.

I do not burn wood now, but I have access to quite a bit seasoned wood. That is a good question about my insurance company. I will have to look into it. I would be using it as my main source of heat with oil as a backup. How much do you think an indoor setup would run?

Comes down to how resourceful & handy you are.

I could find a used boiler with tubes here, and some used propane tanks, and likely put together a boiler & storage combo (although non-gasifying) for $2-3k. Most of that would be the storage stuff.

What I ended up doing 3 years ago in my new boiler install set me back around $15k all together - including new hot water heater & electric boiler, and signficant added expense in just getting the boiler to me. So it runs the gammut (did I spell that right?).

Status
Not open for further replies.