Wood boiler and wood stove in the same flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
I am still saving pennies and collecting information on installing a gasification wood boiler. It will be most likely a Tarm. Seeing that these have a 6" stove pipe and my VC Vigilant wood stove uses a 8" pipe running into a clay lined chimney can I still have both connected to the same flue? Of course I expect to need a damper in the 8" pipe to seal it off. I can not use my other flue because the LP boiler vents into that. My 3rd flue stops at the 1st floor wood stove insert.

I'm not sure I want to remove my wood stove from my basement work shop.

The National Plumbing Code prohibits two fossil fuel appliances or a wood burning and
fossil fuel appliance using the same flue nor would a manual damper would not seal it off either.

The only way it is possible is to physically remove one flue pipe from one appliance to the
chimney and plug the open thimble.

if you can power vent the propane water heater all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.