wood boiler controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbur

Nov 19, 2008
so. nh
Installing an older bureaus wood boiler with an existing oil fired boiler as back up and am Looking for a quality zone valve control that has a priority with a high temp dump zone ability, if such a thing exist would greatly appreciate some info.

Did I detect just a little frustration? This is a holiday weekend and maybe many are enjoying family and friends. Also, everything here is voluntary, and any offered advice from others is given out of generosity and goodwill. There is no obligation on anyone to respond.

Some more info from you could be helpful, along with a system diagram, and more explanation of the functions you desire to achieve. BTW, I use no zone valves in my system, so my advice on your question would not be worth much.

I'm not aware of any device that does what I think you're looking for. Typically, zone valves are hooked to thermostats, and the zone valve limit switches are used to create a contact closure that signal the need for heat from the boiler.

In adding a wood boiler, this works fine except that you need to disable the oil boiler if the wood boiler is hot. There are schematics and control diagrams scattered throughout this forum, including the stickies at the top of the page.

More details and more specific questions will help.

You can probably use a set of relays, themostats, and aquastats to accomplish what you need. Before I implemented my nofo clone control system I had a system with a bunch of relays. I have a heat storage tank, oil burner and wood burner and 5 basic states for the system:
- oil heating house
- wood heating house
- wood heating storage tank
- storage tank heating house
- idle

Once you decide on the states that your system needs to have, you make a table. Each state is a row in the table. Then make some columns for all of the inputs you have at your disposal. These will be things like thermostats and aquastats. If you have a zone relay board in your current system it may have an end switch, which you can use as the signal for when any zone is calling for heat. Then you add columns for the outputs. This will be stuff like circulators and zone valves that put the system into the required state.

If you are interested in a system like this and you have made a table, let me know and i can explain how you would transform the table into a wiring scheme with the relays, etc.

Overheat controls can be set up using an aquastat connected to the controls of the circulator of the largest zone, or zones, in the system. Should have a power failure zone set up as well. Needs to be above the wood boiler, so it will gravity feed. Power goes off, the valve opens, and allows the heat to gravity feed into that loop. My bother hung 20 ft of baseboard radiation on his garage wall, and it's working pretty good... if it's too hot out, he can't run the wood boiler. Suspect it's that way with any of them, except the ones with storage... storage is beginning to look like a good investment if one wishes to get off oil.

Right now, I'll minimize my use as much as I can, and consider storage when I can afford it.

wilbur said:
Installing an older bureaus wood boiler with an existing oil fired boiler as back up and am Looking for a quality zone valve control that has a priority with a high temp dump zone ability, if such a thing exist would greatly appreciate some info.

There's no single control that does all that - wood heating is too specialized of a field right now, for it to be economically-worthwhile for manufacturers to release dedicated controls. UL listing on a device costs many thousands of dollars, even beyond the design and tooling costs (and each variant needs its own listing).

What you're looking for can be done with multiple standard controls, interfaced together.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.