Wood boiler installers willing to install pressurized tanks in Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acavanagh

Aug 6, 2008
Lakes Region, Maine
I have been having a ridiculous time finding someone to install our EKO boiler. Long story short, I have (2) 500 gallon tanks and an EKO 60 in my basement all ready to be hooked up. I thought I had an installer lined up. He said he could hook them up and agreed to do it. He came to my house and said he could do it, but when it came to getting a quote in writing, he seems to be avoiding me. I only bought the tanks and had them put in after he specifically said he could install them for me. I wouldn't have bought them otherwise. At first he would say he would get it to me in a few days and then I would end up calling him a week later and then he would apologize and say a few more days and then I called him a week later, but haven't received any return calls. After a few weeks I recently looked online for other numbers for his business since I only had his cell phone and called one, as it turns out it was his home, and got his wife I beleive. I left a message with her and still no response. Now I have left him 4 messages over a period of about 4 weeks with no return phone call. I don't know what is more pathetic, someone who doesn't have the decency to return a phone call or me waiting for him to call.

I would love to get this thing hooked up. If anyone out there in the Portland Lewiston Auburn area knows someone who is able to take on a project like this, have them contact me. I would greatly appreciate it. I will try and get some pictures of the project posted for anyone interested.

There is no way I would have this guy do any install work for you. If he's this hard to get a hold of now can you imagine what it will be like if you have a problem after the install. Walk away!!!

Have you tried any other plumbers or HVAC guys? Do you have any wood boiler distributors nearby? I bet they could give you some references...

Last thought - have you considered doing it yourself? If you have a Home Depot / Lowes nearby and an account with grainger.com you can do just about anything...

The thought has crossed my mind. He doesn't seem like he wants the business. I can't imagine running a business like that. Amazing. He did say he wouldn't be able to take the project on until the Spring or Summer, which I am OK with, but at least return a call or get a quote out when you say you will.

I have tried quite a few and will obviously continue looking. I have found a few that can do the install, but would not install the storage system. One who didn't seem too comfortable with the EKO since he worked more closely with the smaller gasifiers (Setons I think). A couple of guys who work together who really push the open storage and sell their own tanks. They knew what they were doing except that they were charging an arm and a leg. I will keep looking, but most of the guys in Maine who have a solid fuel license are not familiar with gasifiers and or heat storage, thus are intimidated at the prospect of trying to install one. I think once they see how they work, and reading about them a little, I think they could get the basic concepts down.

I am no plumber. I have tried plumbing in the past and it has never worked out. Carpentry and basic wiring is fine, but plumbing I stay clear from. I would attempt almost any project relating a home before attempting a major plumbing project. I know my limitations. I will try and get some pictures up. I think it is a fairly straightforward install. I currently have a Burnham Oil Boiler with 3 heating zones and the 1 DHW running through the storage tank. I would want them to be run in parallel I guess its called and have a couple plans on how to do it. Nofossil's comes to mind as the most straightforward having the storage tanks run in series.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Pressurized_Storage_Solution_for_Biomass_Boilers/

Anrew,

I sent you a PM for a number to call, give em a try. I know they hook up EKO's around here. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much coolidge. We bought the boiler from Dixfield Fuels which supplies the EKO's in Maine for AHONA. I went with them because I like the distributor, Mark, at AHONA. He is extremely helpful. We bought the tanks from him as well as the exchangers. He hooked us up with a "dead-head" delivery out to Maine which saved us some money on shipping. He's a good guy. I hope that contact you supplied me with is willing. Thanks again coolidge.

If anyone else can think of anyone else, I would would love to hear from you. Just PM me and I will be extremely grateful.

I will try and get some pictures up by tonight or tomorrow of what I have, which is just the two tanks which I painted black and the boiler and of course the current piping. I know myself, I love pictures of peoples' systems to give me ideas. I don't think there are enough of them on this site for examples. I wish this site had some sort of example page with pictures of systems, maybe no more than a few per system to see what people are doing and how they are hooked up, but something centrally located to make it easier.

There is a sticky in the boiler room with a rundown on posting pics...

Your system is incredible. Extremely clean, well done.

I wanted to stack the tanks, but figured it would be too close to the basement ceiling to attempt it.

I will try and locate the sticky. Thanks.

Andrew04039 said:
Your system is incredible. Extremely clean, well done.

I wanted to stack the tanks, but figured it would be too close to the basement ceiling to attempt it.

I will try and locate the sticky. Thanks.

Thanks, Andrew. The rack in my photos is only 7' tall. It was a little tight doing to plumbing on the top tank but it certainly will fit if you have standard 8' ceilings in the basement....

Stee, which size of expansion tank did you use? I see you have two - did these come from Dave at Cozy Heat as well? Do you remember what they cost?
I am just planning the install of my tank(s) and I'm looking at the cost of expansion. Also, where did you purchase the industrial shelving racks your tanks are on?

I know you have probably covered this in other threads. Thanks for the help.

I enjoy helping, Medman! I have two 66 gallon expansion tanks hooked up in addition to the little guy (5 gallons) that works for the boiler only. I have a bypass that allows me to run without my storage so I needed the small tank for when I shut everything else off (even though I never do that). The big ones are pricey. A tick over $400 each and yes, I bought them from Cozy Heat.

You can buy the same rack I have from McMaster Carr. I actally bought mine from a local Steel King distributor to save a little coin on freight. Steel King, Interlake, Frazier, etc etc are all companies that provide this type of rack. If you buy the rack get the heaviest beam you can. I ended up supporting my beams in the middle even though they were rated for 6,000+lbs (heaviest availble in 10 foot spans). I had some sag develop when the tank was only 75% full....

Andrew, A company from Waterville called Houles are solid fuel licensed and deal with wood boilers quite often. I am not sure about their storage install experience. They do good work but are VERY expensive especially if they have to travel an hour to you. Make sure to get a written quote.

You may also try reaching Chris Holley (Garn Dealer). I know he uses a few licensed guys for his installs. He is from the New Harbor area... His business line is 207-677-2509

Though they are designed to be self supporting, I would still like to see some additional diagonal bracing added to pallet racks with 5000 lb. tanks on them. Not that we're likely to get a tremor strong enough to knock one over but if you ever got that much mass rocking even a little it might sway enough times to spring a leak in a fitting somewhere.

Maybe that's just because I grew up in earthquake country in S. California. But I've watched quakes visibly rocking hanging lamps here in the "quiet" Northeast twice in my 30 years here.

DaveBP said:
Though they are designed to be self supporting, I would still like to see some additional diagonal bracing added to pallet racks with 5000 lb. tanks on them. Not that we're likely to get a tremor strong enough to knock one over but if you ever got that much mass rocking even a little it might sway enough times to spring a leak in a fitting somewhere.

Maybe that's just because I grew up in earthquake country in S. California. But I've watched quakes visibly rocking hanging lamps here in the "quiet" Northeast twice in my 30 years here.

There is diagonal bracing on the uprights. These racks can support all kinds of weight, especially at smaller spans (10,000lbs+). One thing you'll notice if you go this route is that the tanks are 1000 times safer when 100% full of water. It's not a great idea to climb around on the upper tank when it's half full of water because you will get some wave action in the tank. Once full, it's a solid mass...

Broker, I don't see how pressurized tanks would be any more unsafe than a hot water tank as long as they have PRV's. We have enough connections on the tanks for about 6 PRV's if it would make the installer feel more comfortable. But I am not the one installing them.

Stee, still jealous of your setup. We have standard ceilings and could probably squeeze them in, but I have to admit I worried a little stacking them that they might fall as well. I am not saying your setup isn't safe, I am sure it is, but I can sleep at night knowing that they won't fall through some mistake of mine in setting up the rigging. Water is 8 pounds a gallon, so that is 8000 pounds right there, plus I would imagine my tanks are about 1000 pounds each. It would scare me to have my family anywhere near a rigging I was responsible for setting up to hold that much weight.

Also, in regards to the expansion tanks. Initially I was thinking of doing just one 66 gallon tank as I believe that is more than enough expansion for 1000 gallons, but having a backup is definately a good idea, plus there is a guy on here, can't remember who, who mentioned to me that having an expansion tank for each 500 gallon tank allows him to shut down a tank for the summer. As he put, another $400 really isn't that much when compared to the whole system cost. I thought it seemed like a good idea. Thought I'd pass the idea on.

Thanks Spark, I'll give him a call. Much appreciated. I know there is someone in the area that is capable and willing to install this system.

STP60396.png

STP60397.png

STP60398.png

STP60399.png

STP60400.png

I have tin foil around the ports and connectors to keep the resilient smell out. It isn't horrible, but certainly noticeable. Not sure what those circles are that showed up on one of the pictures, possibly ghosts. I do plan on sheetrocking the insulation you see exposed.

I hear you Andrew. Keep in mind that the rack is only supporting one tank. 500 gallons x 8lbs per gallon is 4,000lbs. Add 1,000lbs for the tank and you're supporting a cool 5,000lbs with the rack. My rack uprights have a capacity of 14,000lbs each and the beams are rated at roughly 6,500lbs total (if I recall correctly). It's a fair amount of weight but certainly manageable and well within the design limits of the rack. If you plumb with black pipe there is a certain amount of security the connections to the boiler have as well. My EKO 40 can act as a 1,400lbs anchor to the upper tank. All said and done it's quite rigid.

I'll certainly post pictures if my upper tank ever decides to committ hary cary and jump off the rack!

Those tanks look awesome black! Too bad you'll just be covering them up with insulation!

Good point on supporting only one tank. Like I said, I'm sure its safe. Your right, belt and suspenders with the black pipe. Please do. I am sure the rack will be good for the life of the house though, but I would be nervous as hell.

I thought black would hide the rust better than any other color. I wanted to know I did what I could to improve the life of the tanks, and for $25, why not. I went with Rustoleum. A word of caution for anyone wanting to paint their tanks. There is a lot of area to cover for the tanks, which means a lot of paint. I have painted bikes in basements with Rustoleum with no problems, but using about 3/4 of a gallon of Rustoleum creates a very strong odor that takes a long time to go away. That in itself might seem manageable, but if you have a dryer in your basement like us, then your clothes will have a smell to them too. We bought a couple drying racks at Walmart so we are good, but it is more work. The silver lining is we are saving some money on electricity. I figure when I get them all insulated the problem will go away, but that can't happen soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.