Wood boiler map?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
I thought I read a post on here recently about a database of boiler installations plotted to a visual map. The only thing I can find now is WoodNotOil's product database, not what I thought I read about.

Is there such a map that we can add to?

Rory

That is part of my new website, but is still under development(i.e. "Installer Directory". One of the suggestions was that I structure that section so that users can click on a map and call up a list of installers in their region. A great idea, but still a long way from completion. I know that it will very valuable to people, but it will be dependant upon users/installers inputing the information. A form to enter this info is next on my list of things to do. For now post a new topic with looking for installers in your area as the subject.

WoodNotOil said:
Rory

That is part of my new website, but is still under development(i.e. "Installer Directory". One of the suggestions was that I structure that section so that users can click on a map and call up a list of installers in their region. A great idea, but still a long way from completion. I know that it will very valuable to people, but it will be dependant upon users/installers inputing the information. A form to enter this info is next on my list of things to do. For now post a new topic with looking for installers in your area as the subject.

I thought "installations" (installed systems) were being mapped, not installers. The addresses on the posters here seem to indicate clusters in the Northeast and Midwest comprising the majority of the population. Obviously, hardwood is harder to come by in the Northwest, but a distribution map of folks heating with gasifiers and the brands used across North America would be interesting.

yes, someone developed a Google map with pins in it showing where wood boilers were already installed. There was talk of making it possible for people to add their own pin and to make it a sticky on the front page of The Boiler Room. I would love to see that revived. Chris

Ideally, the installation location (owner), installer (contractor or self), supplier, model would be a geat help. It would be nice to see where the other installs of my model (or similar) are in my area. Maybe filter by installer, model, supplier? Not that you have anything else to do ;-)

Almost. It is from the end of year survey (which not everyone rsponded to). But it is starting in the right direction.

I PM'd Mid Michigan about posting a link from WoodNotOil to his map. Hopefully that will keep the effort going, it is interesting data...

Hunderliggur said:
Ideally, the installation location (owner), installer (contractor or self), supplier, model would be a geat help. It would be nice to see where the other installs of my model (or similar) are in my area. Maybe filter by installer, model, supplier? Not that you have anything else to do ;-)

It would be possible to setup something that detailed, but I am wondering if people are up for sharing their exact locations that publicly. I will get the installer directory up and running next, but would be open to also adding something like what you are suggesting if people can agree upon the information that would be useful and what information they are comfortable sharing. Perhaps the above mentioned map is enough on its own...

Perhaps location by ZIP code if people are uncomfortable with addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.