Wood boiler power module

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Interesting, I used to review new technology under NDAs for various parties. Since the power module is a "black box", its a bit hard to see how the numbers will work out. It looks to be a thermal process, so Carnot cycle efficiency sets the maximum energy that can be captured and with such low temperature differentials, it is going to be low. Add in organic working fluids with high boiling points like the ORC folks do in Europe, and the Carnot efficiency goes up but it adds complexity and needs a custom heat exchanger. Super critical CO2 tech allows higher source temps also but requires a custom heat exchanger. In all cases Carnot efficiency is the absolute best case with no losses.

Just to see back of the envelope numbers, assume 180 F inlet, convert to degrees R (absolute) =640 R and assume the heat dump is 30 F = 490 R. Using Carnot's theorem (Th-Tc)/Th= max efficiency of 23%. If I look at ORC, I think they have an expensive working fluid that can go up to 400F so assume an inlet temp of 380F or 840R and eff pops up to 41%. Sticking with water I will be generous and assume 75% efficiency of the equipment or 17% conversion of BTU input to electrical output. I will assume 20% dry wood at 7000 BTU/lb. One KW equals 3400 BTU, so it would take 20,000 Btu input at 17% conversion efficiency. The boiler is not 100% efficient and I will swag in 70%, probably lower if its an OWB. Using 70% that is 28500 btu or about 4 pounds per hour of wood. So 10 pounds of wood/hr inlet for 1 KWhr is in the realm of possible.

My prior employer had some experience testing the Pratt &Whitney ORC units targeted for a low temp geothermal field in the SW about 10 years ago, that project went belly up. P&W had a R&D ORC unit at Chena Hot Springs in Alaska and one in CT but that was about it, they ended up selling to Turboden in Italy. I think a Japanese firm bought the rights. They were basically an air conditioning cycle running backwards with a custom "turbine/generator". Here is a business lead, I really wanted to add ORC to landfill gas engines, these are large natural gas engines in the MW range that burn cleaned up landfilll gas and convert it to electric power, they get lets of tax credits as the power is regarded as "renewable" and I think they are also tied in with the RIN market so if they can get bit more power out of the package they are interested. Those engines just sit out next to a landfill and exhaust a big chunk of the waste heat into the air at 400 degrees plus dump a pretty good amount out the radiator (around 225 F). Install a waste heat recovery unit for your working fluid on the exhaust and use the coolant through a heat exchanger as an economizer on the return water and it sure beats an OWB. Cat seems to own the market selling these engines and I think they even looked at ORC at one point as I saw some documentation at one point that they might offer it as an option. I think when P&W got out no one really picked it up. The one caveat is CAT and other engine companies hate backpressure on their engine exhausts. In another project that cannot be named we were going to tie multiple engines into a common header with an ID fan on the tail end so the engine folks could not complain about backpressure. Crypto right now is reportedly building bit coin mining equipment that is supplied power from burning waste methane from oil fields too far from the gas grid, no doubt they might want a bit more power as there is no value in the waste heat the engines generate.

The promo materials remind me of what I have seen with various sterling cycle units. Different tech but same market but there are some echos of the STM technology that started out as a car engine but switched into a waste gas engine before they went bankrupt about 15 years ago. They were based out of Michigan but very little info out there on the web. Its a niche that many have tried to fit in and no one out there has succeeded.

Most of the tech out there I reviewed over the years was tough to scale down in size, various firms built small R&D units as that was all they could afford but scaling was tough especially with turbine based tech. If your firm can commercialize the tech and make it affordable and reliable there is definitely a market but not so sure wood burners is that market.

Thanks for you comments peakbagger. The Power Module uses our patented Thermal Gradient Motor, that has been scaled many times, it is not ORC or Stirling, and it is not limited to any absolute temperature range.

I'm assuming that your target market is "off grid" folks ?

Just can't see how you would get your ROI back on this system if you were "on grid". 20K for a good gasification OWB, lets say 20K for your unit and then I have burn $300 a cord hardwood to make it work. My house is all electric and my electric bill averages $130 a month. Just to pay the equipment off I'd be looking at 25+ years.

It's definitely interesting technology but unfortunately there'd have to be some kind of decent ROI for myself to personally invest into a system like this. It's the same reason I can't justify having a solar system in Ohio.

Reactions: johneh
Yes. It would produce on the order of 600 to 1000W of power which feeds into a small battery bank, and would include a 6KW peak output power inverter with 120/240VAC output. The battery bank and inverter would supply the peak demands, and power module would keep the batteries charged whenever it has the hydronic heat going to it.
600 to 1000 Watt for f)$20K-25K is way too much in my opinion.

1000 watt is like 2 to 3 Solar PV panels nowadays.

UL/CSA certification?

What is the hot water flow required?
What is the water temperature drop, 180F in, and what is temp output?

The small footprint power module which utilizes our patented Thermal Gradient Motor technology is predictable power on demand.

The advantages of predictable power include:
  • Small amount of energy storage required.
    • Solar has it place, however since the sun can't be utilized 24/7, and we can go for months at a time with little sun, substantial energy storage is required if one does not have back-up to the grid. For example, in my area last fall and winter we went several months with only a handful of sunny days. The amount of battery storage required to last that period of time is impractical, and even several days worth of storage at average powers of 600-1000 watts is very expensive.
  • No reliance on the grid or a backup generator that is dependent on gas or diesel.
  • The power module is small size, 48" by 48" by 20" tall.
  • The power module produces power from very low temperature differences.
    • The TGM produces power from a thermal gradient or temperature difference between its two sides, and can operate from heat sources less than body temperature. For the wood boiler market we would tailor it for typical wood boiler hot water temperatures.

UL/CSA certification?

What is the hot water flow required?
What is the water temperature drop, 180F in, and what is temp output?
I’m waiting for the answers to these questions, too. I also think the price will be too high for the watts generated. One of them would run my house some of the time, but not all the time.

Thank you for your feedback.

1707361247391.png

Just to let you know the 6KW inverter can be sized for you particular needs.

Also, perhaps you are already aware, a somewhat comparable off-grid, non- grid-tie solar system would be on the order of $45K for 5 days of energy storage. It is only somewhat comparable, because it still would not provide power on demand.

Also, since this system makes use of the mini cooling tower, the cooler it is outside the more power it will produce. So the heat requirement is not only a factor of flow and temperature drop. For example, the mini cooling tower will cool down to the dew point. If the dewpoint is 40°F, the hot side doesn't need 180°F. It will operate at a much lower temperature say around 110°F to 130°F, so the flow would change accordingly. Also, it would automatically cycle on and off keeping the battery's charged, while the batteries and invertor provide the peak power demands.

If I understand right, the cooling tower side isn’t tied to the heat side. The cool water circulates on one side of the module and the heated water on the other? The cooling tower is outside?

I was telling my neighbor to check this out after getting ridiculous power bills...
Have you looked into being able to export to the Canadian market at all?
Thanks