1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood boiler set up question?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Timberwolf, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Loc:
    Southern Michigan
    I want to install a wood boiler to heat my 5k sq ft house and hot water. I want set the unit about 125ft from the house. I believe I want a gasification unit for efficiency reasons. I think I should have a storage tank. I was thinking that I would have two pumps. One to circulate from the unit to the storage tank. The second to circulate to the house.
    I don't think I want a system under pressure.
    I have looked at many units and it becomes over whelming. I liked the tarm, portage and main to start with.
    Any thoughts on my idea of the set up? I would like some suggestions on units to consider.
    I have the skills to do an install myself and thought I would put the unit in a small building if needed.
    Oh yeh, first time poster, long time follower. Thanks for any input.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mmudd

mmudd Member

Loc:
    Central MO
    Wyh not go with pressurized system? Beneifts outwiegh the disadvatages IMO. I had non pressurized storage previously, but switched over to pressurized and it is somewhat more efficient. The type of heat emitter you have or plan to have is an important along with the type of boiler. You have lots of area to hear, and fan coils with a blower disipates heat fast = more wood needed compared to radiant?
    Vizsla likes this.
  3. Floydian

Floydian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern VA
    Welcome, Timberwolf!

First we need to know your heat load. This means a heat load calculation or an accurate history of how much energy it takes to heat your 5K sq ft. After that, knowing what your heat distribution system is and what water temps you need is important.

Then we can make more logical suggestions on how to spend your money;).

Noah

PS:definitely add Garn to your list. I know I would if I was heating 5k sq ft.
  4. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    Many makes and models to choose from. It is confusing/overwhelming.

Get your wood c/s/s so to season at least a year. 18 months is better.

Well insulated underground piping is a must. I used Thermopex. Not cheap stuff, but does very well. You can do your own foaming also.

Whats your time frame in which to do this install?
  5. Vizsla

Vizsla New Member

Loc:
    SE Michigan
    Since y.our a DIY er , then have you read any hydronic design material? Siegenthaler books , CD's , Calefi Idronics, Taco Flo pro - design studio...
    It will answer a lot of ?
    Whether you do storage or a buffer tank, your on the right track there. The idronics book has several pics/details/explanations on how to do hydraulic separators , buffer, tank set ups. And the benefits.
  6. PassionForFire&Water

PassionForFire&Water Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Billerica, MA
    Why 125' from the house?
    You have a "man cave" or "pot processing operation" or so you want to want to keep warm?
  7. huffdawg

huffdawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    I heat 4800 square ft. and 2 40 gal. DHW.tanks with an EKO 40 works fine.

Huff