Wood boiler to heat house and shop. Retrofit.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Karmav

We are looking into purchasing a wood boiler (currently leaning towards a Seton W-130-E) to heat our existing 2100 sf home and 1750 sf shop. Our average winter temps are in the teens's-30's (Sandpoint, ID) but does get colder. Here is the plan as of now. Would love feedback on this idea.

The boiler would be located between the house and shop in it's own out building, about 50 yards away from each structure

The shop is currently 28x40 with a concrete slab. We are building a 16x40 addition this summer for a final 40x44 footprint. The idea is to put hydronics in the new slab and retrofit hydronics over the old slab; my thought being lay down 2x4's, blue board in between, pex on top of blue board, plywood floor on top. I know this is not the most efficient way to do it but I want a wood floor to work on in the existing space and the hydronics just need to keep the shop around 55º. I can quickly heat it up with my wood stove. The addition will remain a concrete floor.

The house is the bigger concern. Retrofitting floor hydronics would have to go under floor. Seems like a lot of work and the efficiency seems suspect. Our house lay-out doesn't lend itself well to hot water baseboards. So I am looking into a hydro-air set-up. We already have a forced air system so many parts are already in place. We currently heat the house 100 percent with a wood stove, using the forced air only when we're gone. So the house is quite efficient.

Seem reasonable? Any insight, ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.