Wood boiler wood consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmholmes11

Jul 27, 2014
Northern Michigan
I know there are a lot of variables on this topic but id like to hear where you live, sq ft heating and how many cord you go through in a season.

I'm in Northern Michigan and I'm looking at outside wood boilers. I loved my father in laws and how it heated.

My house is 2100 sq ft main floor and 2100 in the basement (not heating right away).

Thanks all!

Nova Scotia, 1500 first floor + 1200 second floor + 1500 basement not heated, 7.5 cords +/- for heat & DHW year round.

Think my neighbour burns twice that, or so, with his OWB.

I heat approx. 3200 sq ft on 4 cord from late October through March/April. My brother-in-law runs 9 cord through his Central Boiler for slightly less house but he goes the full season (late Sept to late April).

Depending on your insulation situation you may be in the 10+ cord ballpark with an OWB in northern MI. One good part about an OWB is you really won't have significant impact on wood consumption when you decide to heat the basement (or other loads). Usually you're going to have a lot of heating "headroom" on an outdoor unit.

NJ, 2500sqft on top of mountain, 2x6 construction with lots of windows and cathedral ceilings throughout.
2012/13: 1000 gals of oil
2013/14: 6 cords mostly black birch, soft maple, and some oak.
2014/15 should be under 5 cord with mostly 2-3 year old oak and black locust.

Northern Maine, new construction 3200 sq.ft. of heated space (includes garage w/ two overhead doors). 3.5 cord for 100%heat and DHW from mid Sept - mid May.

TS

I know there are a lot of variables on this topic but id like to hear where you live, sq ft heating and how many cord you go through in a season.

I'm in Northern Michigan and I'm looking at outside wood boilers. I loved my father in laws and how it heated.

My house is 2100 sq ft main floor and 2100 in the basement (not heating right away).

Thanks all!

I was just looking at the boilers the guys who responded to you are using. All of them will yield far different results than a typical outdoor unit. You can probably figure they are half of the same heat from the same wood in an OWB.
Now........if you're a Holmes from the Pine River/ Tustin area, I know that wood production is not an issue. ;)
You still however have to handle and process far more wood than if you were to select a good indoor boiler like all of these guys are using.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I was figuring around 10 cord. I currently heat with propane. I used 1500 gallons last year (includes hot water year round however many gallons that uses I'm not sure)

I was just looking at the boilers the guys who responded to you are using. All of them will yield far different results than a typical outdoor unit. You can probably figure they are half of the same heat from the same wood in an OWB.
Now........if you're a Holmes from the Pine River/ Tustin area, I know that wood production is not an issue. ;)
You still however have to handle and process far more wood than if you were to select a good indoor boiler like all of these guys are using.

Actually my family is from that area. I'm sure I'm related to them in some way (don't hold it against me) but I've never met them. My grandpas name is Wendell. My uncle is Tom Holmes and my dad is Joey holmes, not sure if you know them?

For about the same money you could put in a indoor gasser that will burn about half the wood as an OWB, unless your getting an outdoor gasser. then the difference wont be as large. You can put it in a shed or out building if you don't want it in the house. I built a shed and put in storage for the same money as id of had in a outdoor unit without storage. that storage is really nice, especially in the shoulder season and summer. I heat my dhw in the summer with wood.

Reactions: flyingcow and 91LMS
woodmaster you never did mention what your wood consumption is. just curious myself, once I get my 60 plumbed up we will have very similar systems, only I am staple up and suspended/ultra fin radiant.

northeastern pa
2800 sq ft, 2 floors, lots of southeast glass walls, set at 68
1800 basement at 65
all in floor radiant
DHW family of 4
5 cords avg from Oct to May.
scott

Around 7 to 8 cord a year. Heating house, shop, boiler shed and dhw year round. House 1700 sq feet older farm house with some upgrades. Shop 34 X 40 X 15 tall two overhead doors, R 19 walls r 40 cieling

7.5 cord last year.

2500 sq ft RANCH house.
Typical 1980 construction. Lots of windows, some vaulted ceilings. Whole house set to 68F all day every day.
DHW for 2 adults and a baby.

Northern NJ. Exposed on a hill top with lots of wind. Coldest winter in forever as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't keep track the year before. I'll keep track this year.

ac

This may go without saying...but 10 cord is a LOT of wood. With 2 kids there is no way I could keep up with that. I'm barely able to process 4 throughout the year. Such is life I guess.

Good luck!

This may go without saying...but 10 cord is a LOT of wood. With 2 kids there is no way I could keep up with that. I'm barely able to process 4 throughout the year. Such is life I guess.

Good luck!

Yup. I have no shame in buying wood to supplement what I fall behind due to normal life. Buying wood is still way cheaper than buying oil and I know I'm supporting some blue collar guys working their butts off.

ac

Reactions: BoilerMan
I'm burning 10 cord a year. That's heating 6k SF in central Maine.

Everything set on 70degrees.

10 cord is a lot of wood to handle. I've got the labor down about as low as I can without adding a wood processor. It's a fair amount of work.

JP

Last year I was 9-10 cord from mid september thru May. 1800 sq.ft main floor and 1400 radiant floor basement +dhw. 0 gallons of oil during that time. I am losing heat in my under ground pipe that I need to fix. Probably fix in 2015. Storage would help also but not there yet.

Typical is about 4 cords of pine for 1500 sq ft, in-floor radiant kept at constant 61F. That 4 cords is equivalent to about 2.5 cords of oak.

If this is planned for this winter, and you haven't gotten your wood ready yet, you will likely find you will go through more than you think. You will get less BTUs out of unseasoned wood. Given most all estimates above are based on indoor boilers using dry wood, you could be looking at the 15 cord range.

What boiler did you get? And underground pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.