Wood boilers and storage systems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solarvt

Jul 29, 2008
Vermont Islands
Any help or insights I can get will be appreciated. I think I have narrowed my choices to EKO or Greenwood. One is more expensive but I may be able to get away with no water storage with the Greenwood. Would apprecaite any comments. Secondly, Im reading a lot about propane tanks. Am I missing something looks like Polyethelene water tanks are good to 200 degrees and appear to be affordable. Are we overlooking the obvious?

solarvt said:
Any help or insights I can get will be appreciated. I think I have narrowed my choices to EKO or Greenwood. One is more expensive but I may be able to get away with no water storage with the Greenwood. Would apprecaite any comments. Secondly, Im reading a lot about propane tanks. Am I missing something looks like Polyethelene water tanks are good to 200 degrees and appear to be affordable. Are we overlooking the obvious?

As far as I know, both EKO and Greenwood would work equally well without storage, and both would work equally better with.

I may be mistaken, but I think polyethylene is not OK for extended exposure to 200 degrees and it loses much of its strength at that temperature. Propane tanks allow pressurized storage, which can give better performance. Polyethylene most certainly can't be used in a closed system. Perhaps polyethylene could be used for an open tank if sufficient external support could be provided.

I belive you are trying to compare apples to oranges as the units you have picked are very different in how they work. Neither unit requires storage but storage will increase your effienicies. as far as the poly tanks??? post a site and let everyone look at them.

I agree with Nofossil that polyethylene is unsuited to the temperatures encountered in storage- I, too, tried to look into that (in detail), but all signs were very unpromising. Polypropylene is a "maybe" but opinions differ even on that, when you're talking about the long-term 24/7 for multiple heating seasons, and also some margin for error in case your system overheats

Status
Not open for further replies.