Wood boilers get neighbors fuming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you can have one of these, but can't smoke a cig within 1000 feet of another human without penalty.

Here's some interesting comments taken from the article:

"Paul Miller, deputy director of Northeast States for Coordinated Air Use Management, a nonprofit group that represents regional air-quality agencies....

For a typical Massachusetts household, the escalating price of cordwood means a boiler would cost $4,200 per year, Miller estimated, compared with $2,300 for 800 gallons of heating oil."

Wow, I guess we woodburners are not so smart. If only we bought oil, we'd be saving thousands in heating costs per year.

Beanscoot said:
For a typical Massachusetts household, the escalating price of cordwood means a boiler would cost $4,200 per year, Miller estimated, compared with $2,300 for 800 gallons of heating oil."

Hmmmmm - cordwood would have to be almost exactly $1000 per cord for that to be true in my case. Dunno about Massachusetts, but my wood isn't quite that expensive. What with tractor fuel, equipment amortization, expense items and whatnot, I figure I'm spending around $50 per cord. That's not taking credit for the health club membership that I don't need after all that exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.