Wood boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreggB

Dec 8, 2005
Wood boilers love em or hate em? I am just curious as the house we bought came with one and we are using it until we get a bigger woodstove. Personally I don't much care for it, but I wonder how many people have them and like them.

Paging Mr. Johnson. Call in the lobby for Eric Johnson.

GreggB said:
Wood boilers love em or hate em? I am just curious as the house we bought came with one and we are using it until we get a bigger woodstove. Personally I don't much care for it, but I wonder how many people have them and like them.

Depends on what you have. There are a lot of ancient technology wood boilers out there....probably more lousy ones than good ones. Because demand for these went to almost nothing after the late 70's, very little product development was done since.

There are some newer and higher quality boilers which are quite nice. You probably don't have one in your house. If you give us the brand, we might provide some input.

I've got an indoor boiler and personally, I think the central heat and unlimited hot water and 70+ degree house in a cold climate are worth the extra wood consumption. Mine was probably made circa 1980. Maybe earlier. Craig's right; the new ones are pretty impressive. Someday maybe.

Other benefits include having all the mess, smoke and wood storage outside the living area. But for someone who didn't like fooling around with the settings and experimenting with different things, it might be a big pain in the ass. Wood stoves tend to be easier to operate and understand.

Wood stoves are nice, but I prefer a boiler.

Ours is a FP industries boiler, made in Canada. I think it was installed in this house in 82. I guess my biggest complaint is that the draft is set(it can be adjusted) and boiler temp is moderated by demand. There is a dump zone with a big radiator in the basement, Other than that when it gets going you either have to do some dishes/laundry or turn the thermostats way up. If I turn the thermostats up it is nice and toasty but when the fire burns down then we are using more oil than I care to. Also there the lack of a hearth, I really like a central fire in the living area makes it nice when you come in from shoveling or sledding. My lack of affection for the device is a moot point as we have a woodstove on the way, and if that works out we will mothball the wood boiler. I was just curious how others felt about them.

It should be an airtight boiler and if it is, then you should be able to set the combustion air intake to close when the boiler temp reaches the set-point. If it's rising above that (say by more than 20 degrees), then you've probably got an air leak somewhere, most likely in the door gaskets. It should work so that on a cold day, your house stays at what the thermostats are set at and you put in lots of wood. On warmer days, the house should be the same temp, only you put less wood in the boiler.

Anyway, good luck with the stove. If you decide to tear the boiler out and sell it, you should get a nice buck for it in today's market. It may be worth more where it is, as I think central wood heat is a good selling point. At least it would be for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.