Wood Book

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
Is there a good book to be able to identify different wood species?

Just a suggestion. You might check with your county or state extension office to see if they have any lit. either in book form or on line. Your local DNR might be a good resorce too. If it's 1 thing I've found over the years it's that a tree growing on 1 spot on this planet may not look exactly like it's twin brother that is growing 200 miles away in differant soil and overall enviroment. I'm sure lots of folks would argue that statement but I believe it to be true. Just a thought.

I've been using Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees-Eastern Region.

Butcher said:
I've found over the years it's that a tree growing on 1 spot on this planet may not look exactly like it's twin brother that is growing 200 miles away in differant soil and overall enviroment.
Yep, lots of variation in bark, and even leaves. Bark will also vary depending where on the tree you look...most of this ID stuff isn't cut-and-dried.

I know there is or at least there used to be. My brother in law had one many years back.

I will keep these in mind...and will probably contact the DNR tomorrow sometime. I agree...never any of it the same. Thanx gang! Your the greatest! Jeff

Woody Stover said:
I've been using Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees-Eastern Region.

Butcher said:
I've found over the years it's that a tree growing on 1 spot on this planet may not look exactly like it's twin brother that is growing 200 miles away in differant soil and overall enviroment.
Yep, lots of variation in bark, and even leaves. Bark will also vary depending where on the tree you look...most of this ID stuff isn't cut-and-dried.

this exact book resides in my truck 24-7.

Woody Stover said:

Same book I've had for 31 yrs.Dust jacket taped together & a bit weathered now,still is worth its weight in gold.Have a dozen other similar books of varying sizes,this is the one that I take on a scrounge or when asked questions about someone's trees.

Best book I know of for identifying tree species.Other books are available for different species of lumber,their grades & uses etc.

I think the way to learn your trees is 1. get a good field guide and 2. start with the trees that are common in your area and 3. plan to work at it slowly over several years. 1. I have a "field guide to trees and shrubs" by George petrides that is part of the Petersen Field Guide Series. It may now be replaced with another book in the Petersen Field Guide Series that covers only trees, not shrubs. I like it. Also you might check out David Sibley's Guide to Trees (not sure of the exact name of the book but the author's name is right. Get a book that includes all the trees in your area and one that uses drawings or diagrams, not just photos. Most photo guides try to be too simple and end up being inaccurate or hard to use. 2. I recommend you pick a few trees that are near your house or some place you visit a lot and take the time to identify them with 100% certainty. Pick trees in the woods or wild trees, not planted trees because people can plant all sorts of trees from some other part of the world that can make identification tough (although most planted trees are from a relatively few species). 100% certainty might mean learning some key feature that separates it from similar species, like the teeth on the leaves of Red Maple or the caps on the acorns of Mossycup Oak. As you see these trees every day thru the year you'll probably begin to pick out the trees of the same species all over town and learn that most of the time you can identify the tree just on general appearance, the shape of the tree, the way the branches divide,, etc., but it is nice to know the key features that botanists use so you can be sure. Sibley's guide is based on identifying trees on general shape and other large-scale characteristics so it might be a good one to look for. 3. It took me a long time to learn all of the trees. i find I can learn a few at a time and remember them, but if I try to learn 10 in a day I'll forget most of them. there probably aren't more than 20 or 30 common trees in your area so it really won't be long before you know most of them.

I appreciate all the imput. Now just to put this great info to use. I appreciate you all! Thanx Jeff PS I do think it will take some time!

Status
Not open for further replies.