Wood boring bug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cousinles

Apr 21, 2008
Middleville ny
I was splitting wood today and seen a few of these bugs boring tunnels my wood, they are like 2" long. Does anyone know what kind of bugs they are?

DSC01837.jpg

wood boring termite? i use temite control through the summer on my piles sould kill any boring insects

les said:
Is it a termite? I did not think they got that that big or even looked like that.
not sure but you know it boring so killem

Yep, they be termites. Time for a little borax sprinkle. For a quick knock-down, you can also use any organic pesticide. Organics only have a residual of about 24/48 hours.

les said:
I cut him in half with the splitting maul.
Sweet but i am sure ther is more

les said:
I was splitting wood today and seen a few of these bugs boring tunnels my wood, they are like 2" long. Does anyone know what kind of bugs they are?

DSC01837.jpg

Good lord...looks like a flying doberman stoletto....have not a clue what it is but i'm pretty sure you don't need it :grrr:

I don't know what it is but I know it's not a termite. Termites look like ants with two pair of wings.

bluefrier said:
I don't know what it is but I know it's not a termite. Termites look like ants with two pair of wings.

Umm, it ain`t flying, so the wings are folded.

sonnyinbc said:
bluefrier said:

C'mon. A 2" termite?

bluefrier said:
sonnyinbc said:
bluefrier said:

C'mon. A 2" termite?

hymenopteran B-52ius...that's what it is.

They only lay eggs in dead trees.
They will not much on your home.
And they don't sting.

When I first saw it I was thinking it's a wasp if some kind by its yellow bellied thorax but I don't know for sure. Not like any of the termites I've seen on National Geographic TV that's for sure.

Girl said:
They only lay eggs in dead trees.
They will not much on your home.
And they don't sting.

Yeah, that's what THEY say...but turn your back for a second and they'll bore through your house, sting you in the neck and lay an egg on your face :mad:

Ha Ha..

FYI- Only way they could bore through a house is if the lumber you used already had eggs and hatch.
There was a real problem back in the 90's with new construction, they can munch through just about anything.

les said:
I did a google search on a horntail wasp and that is what it is thanks a lot. and it was in a dead peice of wood the only dead peice in the pile.

All the wood on my stacks is dead ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.