Wood Bricks in a Gasification Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JillianL

Sep 21, 2011
NE PA
We have a Varmebaronen Vedolux 55 Gasification Boiler that we just installed this season. I'm wondering if there is any reason we shouldn't burn wood bricks in this type of furnace. We are running out of firewood for a variety of reasons and I'm due to have a baby in the next couple of days. We've had to buy a few cords to burn this season, and they've been less than satisfactory. No surprise, but I don't want to waste money again. There is a dealer who delivers pallets of Ecobricks in our area and it seems like a decent solution for our situation.

Any thoughts or experiences?

You can burn bio bricks in a gasification boiler. I tried a small packet of them once, I noticed that they don't create coals like cord wood but seem to melt somewhat. This makes sense as that's how the particles are bonded together - from heat and pressure generated when compressing sawdust/woodchips, no grain like fire wood. I didn't burn enough to assess how well they work in a gasser. I think you'd want to place them in fairly tightly or you're likely to get a rich burn condition from too much exposed to heat/flame.
People with wood stoves seem to love them. They have a very low moisture content which is a plus, you might consider mixing with the less than dry cord wood.

I have been using Envy blocks for a couple of years now, as a supplemental source when the supply of firewood is running low....such as this last week.

At least I'm my situation, they work alot better when mixed with cordwood. By them selves....would not recommend. Slow to take off without heavy coals and run rich.
As the previous poster said..they leave no coals and tend to melt.
Scott

People with wood stoves seem to love them. They have a very low moisture content which is a plus, you might consider mixing with the less than dry cord wood.

Just bought 4 pks of 20, bio-bricks to stretch out some marginal wood and finish up the year. They're pretty good mixed in with cord wood, not crazy about them alone for most of the reasons stated above except they don't "melt" in a regular wood stove ;lol.

Wow! Congrats on getting that boiler. Have nothing to add about the bricks but will WELCOME you to the forum. Oh and congrats on the baby coming.

Hey Jillian...congrats on the baby...did not register at first glance.

NEPA here as well...Wayne county

The manufacturer for ENVI blocks is very close by...this is their site:http://www.barefootpellet.com/enviblocks/.

If you have a trailer you could drive and pick up 1-2 pallets...if no trailer, give them a call and see which distributor is near you for delivery...

GOOD LUCK AND BEST OF HEALTH....

If you need any additional info PM me.

Scott

Last edited:
They work fine in my coal and wood burner with coal grates.

About your gasser you only want to burn a few of them at
a time perhaps one package at time using the compressed
wax and sawdust fire starters-use the whole fire starter brick!

I would invest in handful of the standard fire brick to burn them
on as the firebrick will hold the heat and then enjoy.

Our problem was we did not burn enough of them at one time for
more heat but they flamed really well and hot with little to no smoke
with the automatic draft doors in the ash pit and the lower loading door.

Using several "match light" charcoal briquett's and then placing the sawdust
bricks on them would work well. We use the "Duraflame" wax and sawdust firestarters.

Ideally you want to have the fire bricks on their sides end to allow air to circulate
under them like a wood grate or coal grate with a small gap between them before
you torch off the match light briquets or a full fire starter brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.