wood bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack65

Jun 26, 2008
southern Maine
A guy at work said he's going to try those bricks of compressed wood in his stove. I've seen them on sale by the case but never heard whether they're worth the price. Has anyone had any experience with them, and was it favorable?

bio bricks
lots of happy satisfied folks.
(advanced search box is clickable above)

The wood / bio brick thing sounds like a repackaged "manufactured" fireplace grocery store log in another form. But, it is better than a cold room and stove, however a lot more expensive than any wood.

Now if I could just press my autumn leaves and grass cuttings into next years "bricks." Right now they go in the compost pile.

Do you remember the old newspaper log rollers of 35 years ago? Roll, soak with water, dry, dry some more ... then burn.

Valhalla said:
The wood / bio brick thing sounds like a repackaged "manufactured" fireplace grocery store log in another form. But, it is better than a cold room and stove, however a lot more expensive than any wood.

Now if I could just press my autumn leaves and grass cuttings into next years "bricks." Right now they go in the compost pile.

Do you remember the old newspaper log rollers of 35 years ago? Roll, soak with water, dry, dry some more ... then burn.

Nope. Biobrick are compressed wood using heat to get the particles to hold together. Manufactured logs use a waxy material to bind sawdust together. Its like comparing apples to hand grenades.

The newspaper rollers are still areound, but not really worth it.

I used one of those log rollers for a few log. Guess that shows my age because it was about 35 years ago. I'll probablt try a few bio logs just to see, even thought I have almost 20 cords cut and stacked.

bcnu said:
I used one of those log rollers for a few log. Guess that shows my age because it was about 35 years ago. I'll probablt try a few bio logs just to see, even thought I have almost 20 cords cut and stacked.

Yes, we are showing our age. I bought a paper log roller thing in 1973 and "rolled quite a few" wet ones. I remember that it was painted red. Promptly went back to maple and recycled the paper instead! Scraped that paper log roller thing as a total loss.

Keep warm and stay sharp!

Cheers

myzamboni said:
Valhalla said:

Nope. Biobrick are compressed wood using heat to get the particles to hold together. Manufactured logs use a waxy material to bind sawdust together. Its like comparing apples to hand grenades.

The newspaper rollers are still areound, but not really worth it.

no heat - just pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.