Wood burner chimney pipe in ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pascoa341

Oct 1, 2015
NL
We recently took out our very ornamental chimney and now want to have just the pipe going into the ceiling (from the first floor there is a chimney breast so no problem). To clarify the situation I have added a picture. A problem we have now is that we are not certain if and how it is possible to leave the pipe going straight into the ceiling like this. In particular I have three questions:

1. Would the plaster around the chimney pipe not crack due to the heat of the pipe? We were told by one person this could be a problem, while another person said it should be fine.

2. As you can see the lower pipe is wider than the top pipe that goes into the ceiling. The fit is decently tight, but not supertight (we can move the pipes fairly easyily). Will we now get smoke in our lounge? In the old situation there was heat-resistant tape surrounding the pipe, but of course, with the pipe now being visible, we do not want that anymore?

3. What would be the best way to make the top and bottom pipe more or less the same colour?

2z5q6h2.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes. What are we looking at here? Is this where the wall and ceiling meet? If yes there are a host of issues including pipe much too close to the wall and an illegal transition between floors.

This is non-standard for a US installation. Perhaps all surfaces are non-combustible. I would have a professional chimney sweep come and investigate to verify a safe solution. We can't tell from our desktop view.

The stove pipe may be painted with a compatible high temperature paint.

Last edited:
Oh - this looks really close to the back of the wall, also you need a ceiling support box. What's above the ceiling, attic space?

PS: Welcome to hearth.com. What stove is hooked up to this pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.