Wood Burner Door Constantly Goes Black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex3471

Dec 26, 2007
Tortefontaine, France
I'm new to this wood burner thing and I have a problem. My wood burner door goes black with soot every time I light a fire. Is there anything I can do to stop it? Or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be much appreciated!

If your talking about the glass in your door, don't feel bad. I have found even with my new insert it gets black and it has this famous glass air wash. I am sure you will get a better answer than mine, but if you keep the wood back from the glass and burn it hot all the time, it wont get as bad.

By the way, welcome to the site, I didnt see your country.

Shipper

Burn seasoned and dry wood, and get a good hot fire and it will clean off by itself.

Thanks for the advice. This may sound even more stupid, but what is the best way to get a really hot fire? I have seasoned wood that I bought locally here in France from a reputable supplier, but I'm clearly not burning it hot enough at the moment. I'm not sure how I get it really hot.

OK, here's the fundamentals (at least, I think they are!):

It's a Bodin wood burning stove which has a 6m (18 foot) flue which is a stainless steel double lined flue. The wood I'm burning is pre-prepared (i.e. cut) timber that has been seasoned for two years (it says in the shop I bought it from), I'm not exactly sure what wood it is. I don't have a stove thermometer, but may well go out and buy one tomorrow!

The stove itself was bought second hand and is 1 year old, but was only installed last Friday, so I'm not entirely sure of its heritage.

I hope this is helpful!
Thanks again for helping,
Alex

To burn wood hotter, one usually opens up the primary air control.

i am not fimiliar with your stove , so please READ YOUR OWNERS MANUEL.

If you don't have a owners manuel , go to Boden's website & download the manual into
your computer . It should be a free download.

When you open up your primary air control, this lets more air into the combustion chamber & your wood burns up hotter & faster & shortens the time of your fire. It also gives more air to the window air wash system , to make the air wash system work better.

So, no free lunch, if you want to keep a cleaner window, you will heat the house more & expend your fuel load sooner.

When you shut off your stove, and AFTER THE GLASS HAS HAD TIME TO COOL OFF, you can spray it with windex & a paper towell &make;it all bright & clean again.

If you spray a hot window with windex, expect the glass to shatter.

Alex3471 said:
Thanks for the advice. This may sound even more stupid, but what is the best way to get a really hot fire? I have seasoned wood that I bought locally here in France from a reputable supplier, but I'm clearly not burning it hot enough at the moment. I'm not sure how I get it really hot.

Alex, bienvenue! Could this be a Godin stove? What is the stove model? What kind of wood are you burning, oak?

eernest4 said:
If you spray a hot window with windex, expect the glass to shatter.

You can throw ice water on the ceramic windows on the stoves made in the last twenty years and they aren't going to shatter. All you get it is a lot of steam and a wet hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.