Wood burner in pole barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and whoever thought exposed fasteners for a steel roof was a good idea, well they should crawl on my roof every year and replace/reseal loose fasteners
How old is your roof? Mine is going on 25 years with only a couple screws leaking.

How old is your roof? Mine is going on 25 years with only a couple screws leaking.

Tax records show a 1984 build date. About 75% of the original nail/rubber washer fasteners have been replace with pole barn screws. The constant expansion/contraction loosens the nails then the seal is gone. It also does not help that the original white finish has completely bleached off and now just bare galvanized. No white paint equals hotter steel temps and more movement.

Tax records show a 1984 build date. About 75% of the original nail/rubber washer fasteners have been replace with pole barn screws. The constant expansion/contraction loosens the nails then the seal is gone. It also does not help that the original white finish has completely bleached off and now just bare galvanized. No white paint equals hotter steel temps and more movement.
Yeah the nails suck mine are all screws and I have not had an issue. I have painted mine twice now though. It is also dark brown so lots of movement. My ridge cap is not wide enough though about once a year we get enough wind that it blows rain under it. That is the only leak we ever get and it is not much of anything.

Yeah the nails suck mine are all screws and I have not had an issue. I have painted mine twice now though. It is also dark brown so lots of movement. My ridge cap is not wide enough though about once a year we get enough wind that it blows rain under it. That is the only leak we ever get and it is not much of anything.

First winter there I had a stripe of snow right down the center of the building on the inside. The foam seals under the ridge cap were almost gone. Not to hard or expensive to replace and no more snow inside.

First winter there I had a stripe of snow right down the center of the building on the inside. The foam seals under the ridge cap were almost gone. Not to hard or expensive to replace and no more snow inside.
I have never had snow in my attic. Mine is the old style cap that gets bent around the ribs though. And I have a 12/12 pitch. So it really has to blow allot to get it up there.

I have 3 sotz kits...ha!

I almost bought a Sotz kit the other day.
I was digging around on craigslist nationwide and I found a lady selling one up in Ohio. Said her husband had bought it 30 years ago and he had passed away.
This lady, get this, had posted only a mailing address. No email or cell phone. Damn she is more of a Luddite than I am!

So, get this, I wrote a letter on a piece of paper, put it in an envelope of paper, licked the flap and sealed it, and put a stamp on it and took it to the post office and "mailed" it. Put my phone number in the letter.
A week later I got a call from the son of the lady, he said she had already sold it. Dammit!
I don't know what I would have done with it, just bought it for old time's sake I guess.

It would be a good addition to your bug out kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.