Wood Burner's Hell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
As usual this place is Wood Burner's Hell. 44 degrees at 10:30 at night but headed for the mid-twenties at sun-up. Not a lot of fun balancing that with an overnight load. >:-(

I can see where people with thermostats have an advantage. :)

A working heat pump helps %-P

54 here at 7:30pm. No way I'm burning tonight.

I guess that's the price you pay for having that monster 30. :) This is actually ideal for my setup, I've just been idling this evening, and then I'll fill 'er up on the way to bed. The stove room will be too hot, but I won't be there. By morning it will all be in the low 70's. My problem has been when it hits the teens and lower, and thus the new Napoleon for the other side of the house.

Was 40 when I got home last night. Got a load of pine going. Went to a 5 course spicy dinner (the brownie dessert was the spiciest part) with beer tasting (Shipyahhd). Came home and threw more on- got to maybe 29-30 this am. House was 66 when I woke up this am- perfect. Place smelled funny though... could have been anything...

So last night I get home from work and I walk into the house and it was reading 82-83F on the wall thermostat, it was so hot I felt like the turkey at Thanksgiving. I looked over and my wife had the dampner opened all the way on the stove insert with a full load of wood. It took over 2 hours to cool the house back down to a comfortable 77F. Woke up this morning and the house was 65F.

I got the living room up to 81 last night. Oops! There I sat in my shorts trying to imagine it was really summer. The worst part though, is that the brick chimney goes right up through our bedroom, so the bedroom was 80 last night and 77 this morning. I was so dehydrated that it felt like spent the night drinking. It's still better than being cold.

Adios Pantalones said:
Place smelled funny though... could have been anything...

5 Course SPicy dinner... helllloooooo... ?!?!?!

I have been loading the stove light and its 75 at night in the house, 68 or so in the morning and its been getting down to the low 30's by me

Adios Pantalones said:
Was 40 when I got home last night. Got a load of pine going. Went to a 5 course spicy dinner (the brownie dessert was the spiciest part) with beer tasting (Shipyahhd). Came home and threw more on- got to maybe 29-30 this am. House was 66 when I woke up this am- perfect. Place smelled funny though... could have been anything...
"smelled funny" I've always heard that spicing the brownies was a waste of good herbs and spices. Stick with unspiced Betty C's and save the expensive specialty herbs and spices for company that you actually like.

Yup,

I just turn up the thermostat and my PB105 does the rest...... Actually, I don't even have to touch the t-stat since I've got all three of them programmed..... ;)

I just maintain a coal bed and crack some winders if necessary. At 55 though...may have to shut it down until evening.

The weather we have been having has been working well for me. Mild - upper 40's - mid 50's during the day, low 30's at night. I get home in the evening, the house is around 62-65. Start fire. Put in small load. House is 70 by bedtime. Put in medium load and off to bed. The house is usually 69 or 70 when I get up. Lot's of windows on the south side = house stays in the 60's during the day.

I just hope I can keep up when it gets really cold. I have been burning junk wood - mostly cottonwood and basswood so far. I have oak, elm, and maple for the winter. The basement is holding at 60 right now, so I will have to figure out something down there before it gets much colder.

Status
Not open for further replies.