wood burning fireplace install help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benwoj42

Aug 10, 2015
Detroit
I just purchased a heat-n-glo exclaim 36 inch wood burning fireplace. We are in the process of figuring out the steps to take to do the install. The foundation is set up outside, but we need to begin the framing, drywall the interior, and set up the chimney inside. We also have two firestops for a two-story house. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how they would begin. Would you suggest doing all the framing downstairs and upstairs along with the chimney and two fire-stops, then drywall or Would it be best to do framing and drywall in sections so we can get the chimney in in sections? Just trying to firgure out the best steps to take so there's less of a headache...Thank you!

Welcome. It sounds like this will be installed in an exterior wall and the chimney chased in outside, is that correct? Is the question about drywalling the inside of the chase over the insulation or just the interior face?

PS: We see a lot of folks either replacing basic ZC fireplaces or trying to install an insert in them. Curious why a non-EPA fireplace was chosen. Is this just for an occasional ambiance fire?

Thanks for the reply begreen. Yes, this is for an exterior chase as well as for ambiance and will only be using it occasionally like you said. To clarify my question a bit more. What is the easiest way to install the drywall on the interior wall? Is the entire framing of the chase built first and then you squeeze yourself in the chase to drywall (two stories) and then slide the chimney pipe down from above, or do you build one story of the chase, drywall, install piping and fire stop and then repeat for second story?

What steps do you follow?

I have not installed a zero-clearance fireplace so I don't want to steer you wrong. My sense tells me that I would rock the chase first, then install the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.