wood burning furnace suggestion for a mobile home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muskiediver

Feb 20, 2011
Michigan
I am not sure if this is the right thread.

We have a 30 year old plus mobile home. About 950 Square feet. We are using a Beckett force air oil furnace. The bills recently have cost $300 plus per month and we need to consider an alternative. We are looking a wood burning stove as an alternative. I am not sure if a boiler is require or if the heated air can be used. The wood burning furnace will be the main supply, oil the back up. We were looking at wood burning furnaces we can hook into our current oil burning furnace. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

We are in Michigan

The smallest woodfurnace that I know of is the Mini-Caddy. I just don't know if its mobile home approved. Also its not a cheap furnace. There are many stoves out there that are mobile-home approved, and will heat your home just fine. Having a stove instead of furnace, you don't have to bother with power outages. Post over in the hearth room and they will help you there.

I looked at this and yes you can get a wood furnace but none of them would be a direct replacement, they take up more space, require more set backs.

I did not come across one that said it was approved for mobile homes.

You can get a pellet stove that is, by the time you have installed it, c $2000 and would be rated for mobile home installation, a furnace would cost several times more than that and take up a lot more space.

freestanding, yes... boiler/furnace: you would have to build a room outside of the existing mobile structure's footprint to do such a thing.

laynes69 said:
There are many stoves out there that are mobile-home approved, and will heat your home just fine.

Thank you for your reaponse.

Whe you say stoves are you refering to fireplaces? We are concerned a fireplace in lets say the living room on one side of our house, will not reach the bedroom on the other side of the house.

What specific models are you refering to that are mobile home approved?

Como said:
You can get a pellet stove that is, by the time you have installed it, c $2000 and would be rated for mobile home installation, a furnace would cost several times more than that and take up a lot more space.

Would the pellet stove tie into the furnace?

A stove is a free-standing heater, different from a fireplace. As far as models, I don't know of specific models. I just know that they make them and its important if thats whats needed. We heat with a woodfurnace. Just about any woodfurnace would run you out of your home. Thats not a whole lot of footage to heat.

I used to live in a single wide trailer that was heated with a mid sized stove (Kent Tile Fire). With 2 corner fans to move the heat down the hallway, our trailer was comfy warm all the time.

Another possibility is putting a wood furnace outside one end of the trailer. Mobile homes usually have 1 duct that runs the length of the trailer and you could extend that out one end and add a cold air return, and insulate away. It's hard to recomend a setup like that, but it's hard to recomend a stove inside a trailer also, hopefully there's drywall at least around where the stove would go.

benjamin said:
Another possibility is putting a wood furnace outside one end of the trailer. Mobile homes usually have 1 duct that runs the length of the trailer and you could extend that out one end and add a cold air return, and insulate away. It's hard to recomend a setup like that, but it's hard to recomend a stove inside a trailer also, hopefully there's drywall at least around where the stove would go.

This might work:
http://outsidewoodheater.com/id4.html

Status
Not open for further replies.