Wood burning in Houston??? Really?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramack

Jul 28, 2011
CO
I have a job opportunity on the west side of Houston and would probably live in or near Katy. Does it really get cold enough to use your wood stove????

For those that live there or have lived there, how do/did you like it? The little things, the humidity, climate, bugs, smog, traffic etc...

ANY input is welcome!

Rich

My brother lives outside Waco, an hour or two north.. They run thru more wood a year then I do, and honestly just a bit less than another brother who lives outside the Boundry Waters.. But he has a bigger house.. For humans, it's temperature differential that makes us feel cold. A winter temp day time temp of 40F would have my kid brother without a fire and in shirt sleeves (MN), while my baby bro would have a fire and be in a coat (TX)...

My wife was just in Katy for work, and visited all week with one of her best friends from KS she grew up with who lives there.. They love it, and the area.

Be prepared for lots of rain and some possible hurricanes. Yes, it can get cold there.

Dakotas Dad mentioned Waco. We were still a bit north of there yet one time and stayed in a campground. In January it got up to 68 one day and 70 the next. We thought it was great but the following day it snowed and had a high temperature of 32.

I dunno if it's anything like my cousin in AZ, but when it gets even remotely cold everyone turns on their gas furnaces and the gas company can't keep up. I can't imagine anything like that ever happening here, but when it does there , everybody freezes, pipes burst, and it gets dangerous. It only happens once every year or two, but it happens. Definitely a good reason to have a wood stove and a small stack.

I don't mind the rain at all. I don't mind the humidity or the heat. It's the combination of the two that kills me, ha. I lived in North Mississippi for about 8 years before moving back to Colorado. It took me two summers to acclimate or tolerate the change from CO to MS.

It's big career move and I'm weighing all pro/cons. One of which is the "sub-tropical" climate per the Houston Wiki. It's hard to beat the weather and climate in Colorado.

For perspective, I can tell you that Houston gets below freezing only occasionally, sometimes going all winter without a serious frost. On the other hand, you'll have days when it is damp and chilly and a fire would be nice to take the edge off the cold. Houses there do have heating systems that get some use each winter.

Well I had an interview with the company yesterday. A quick trip from Denver, IAH, Katy and back to Denver. I think the interview went well, I liked the area, people were very friendly. We'll see what happens....

But it was good to get back to Colorado, not sure what the temp. was when I arrived late PM, but the coolness felt good.

I can't put it any better than:
“Home. Home again. I like to be there when I can. And when I come home cold and tired, it’s good to warm my bones beside the fire.†And I proceeded to light a fire early this morning!

Rich

Wood Duck said:
Houses there do have heating systems that get some use each winter.

WD,

What type of HVAC? Gas forced air and A/C or heat pumps? We had a heat pump when I lived in North Mississippi, it actually worked well.

Rich

I've lived in Houston. It can get damp, and that makes the cold worse.

I don't think wood burning is an issue, but kind of a different style.

I'm sure you'll adapt. Good luck !

Oh, and a PS .. if it snows, stay home. They can't drive in it !!

The heat pump is king in the Houston area. Mostly for A/C and getting the humidity out of the house. And will handle all of the heating needs you will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.