Wood burning insert for Newer Heatilator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trekker

Jan 8, 2008
NW Ohio
Hello all, I've been reading some of this forum, and decided to create an account to tap the wealth of knowledge on here. I have a home that was built in 03, and came with a heatilator wood fireplace. I'm thinking of installing a wood burning insert if this is possible with the heatilator. I've spent alot of time searching the net, and haven't found much info. So I was hoping you all would help me out. Can I do it safely,have building codes to meet,what model and so forth. The chimney appears to be stainless, and is in good shape. Any advice. Thanks.

Sounds like a zero clearance pre fab, if that is the case, you have to find an insert that is zero clearance approved.

trekker said:
Hello all, I've been reading some of this forum, and decided to create an account to tap the wealth of knowledge on here. I have a home that was built in 03, and came with a heatilator wood fireplace. I'm thinking of installing a wood burning insert if this is possible with the heatilator. I've spent alot of time searching the net, and haven't found much info. So I was hoping you all would help me out. Can I do it safely,have building codes to meet,what model and so forth. The chimney appears to be stainless, and is in good shape. Any advice. Thanks.
Just put a Lopi Revere into my 42" heatilator fireplace with no problem.

I went with the Lopi Revere in a 42" zero clearance. It needed the SS liner, and it was a tight squeeze hooking it up.

Attachments

• revere.jpg
    revere.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 539
Nice looking hearth, jlinke! It's probably safe to assume that this is the dogs favorite spot.

-SF

Thanks for the compliment SF... The original hearth was a bit too ultra-modern for our tastes. And yes, the dog grumbles at me everytime I come in with a load and he has to move!

Jeff

Attachments

• zc.jpg
    zc.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 475
I only have 20 inches of height to work with. Any suggestions on how, or if I'll be able to hook the insert up to the chimney. This may be to tight an area for that to be accomplished. Do you slide a liner in ahead of the stove insert?

The height of my opening was just under 22" and it was barely enough room to get my hands in to connect the liner. Fortunately the liner dropped straight down on to the stove so it was an easy connection.

Is a direct connection from the insert to the chimney always required? Safety is my #1 concern, but this would make it alot easier to hook up.

trekker said:
Is a direct connection from the insert to the chimney always required? Safety is my #1 concern, but this would make it alot easier to hook up.

If you put an insert into a Heatilator ZC box you will need a fully insulated liner top to bottom. No exceptions.

Jt, is that what the Quad insert manual says??

Since they make both the fireplace and the insert, they should have it right as to the situation. Didn't the manual say something about the newer fireplaces (HT tested) not needing lined?

I would not install it this way even if allowed, but might forgo the insulation if 100% certain the existing chimney was HT (high temperature)..

Well, that's out. I had a dealer call the techies, and he says they said the ec42 will not support the weight of an insert.

Craig - it says that anything made after 1998 the mfg has the option of testing the chimney system to the HT (2100 deg) standard. I don't think the SL300 or SL1100 series pipe is tested to the 2100deg listing, only the required 1700deg. I don't know why any mfg would pay extra for an optional test that basically gets them nothing.

Trekker - yeah I have heard that before, no insert is allowed to go in the cheapo "E" (Element) boxes. Those are the cheapest "builder" units that Heatilator makes. I have heard of some places selling them for $500 installed (builder discount)!

We don't have to worry about that around here because, 1) we are about the only Heatilator dealer around, 2) We never have, and never will, sell the E boxes.

The SL300 pipe is what's required for the big 7100 epa fireplace, right?
Could the whole thing be ripped out and the 7100 installed and maybe use the same pipe?
I sort of thought of that initially when I was looking for an insert for my AC36 heatilator, but I don't think the flue would've lined up and I would've needed a larger bump out on the chase, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.