Wood burning insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
My cousin who has a fire place is thinking about getting an insert so he can burn some wood and use less oil.

question is, what will he have to do, if anything to his chimney or any other prep work involved?

Also, if he cannot find an insert that he likes and decided to slide a small stove into his fire place, will he just have to run a stove pipe from his stove past his damper or is there more to it??

thanks for any info ya'll can give.

by code you must run the pipe up to the top. much safer this way, and better draft. no problem putting a stove there, same deal with the pipe.

brooktrout said:
by code you must run the pipe up to the top. much safer this way, and better draft. no problem putting a stove there, same deal with the pipe.

I was told that in an existing masonry chimney there are two acceptable ways to go:

1. Full height liner.

2. Partial height (direct connect kit) was a lower cost option, fully code compliant provided it was used with an intact clay chimney liner.

EngineRep said:
brooktrout said:

I was told that in an existing masonry chimney there are two acceptable ways to go:

1. Full height liner.

2. Partial height (direct connect kit) was a lower cost option, fully code compliant provided it was used with an intact clay chimney liner.
codes will vary, so this i understand. many older insert setups relied on the surround seal, and smoke just went up the preexisting chimney with no pipe at all :bug:

Whether he installs an insert or a freestander as a hearth stove setup, he'll get better performance from the appliance with a full liner in the chimney. It'll draw better, condense out less creosote, and be easier to maintain (clean). Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.