Wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueriver

Oct 27, 2006
We are undecided on the cast iron vs. the steel stoves. We like the cast iron HI300 Hampton Stove but it will cost us about $700.00 more than the 1401 Napoleon steel stove. Both say they will heat our desired square footage. We want the best stove for the money, but we don't know if we will really notice a difference over the two. We would appreciate any advice to help us make our decision.

The hampton is a very attractive stove. What you have to decide is the look you want for the next 15 to 20 years. IS the look worth the money? Nothing wrong with a good plate steel stove like the Napoleon The $700 choice is not a quality issue but what is pleasing to your eye and the better half. If she favors the hampton them you cheaped out with the Napolean if she favors the Napol;eon then you have to explain to her the next 15 year why it was $700 more

Thanks for the replys. After going back to fireplace shop I have changed my mind again. And
we like the Regency I3100 insert because of the larger fire box. It looks like a well built stove
with a good heavy door and latch.

I chose a steel stove over cast iron because steel stoves are constructed using welding and bending, not furnace cement. Cast iron stoves are held together by furnace cement which periodically wears out and starts leaking air, requiring the stove to be rebuilt.

Take a look at the Jotul Kennebec as well. It's cast iron and very well built. And it throws a lot of heat for its size!

Status
Not open for further replies.