Wood burning ok in a bedroom??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
ok, maybe im showing my ignorance here, but i was under the impression for many years that solid burning appliances were not approved for bedrooms, with or without a outside air kit. The heatilator constitution EPA fireplace broucher says differently.. Maybe is just a local code? or am i completly wrong?
http://www.heatilator.com/downloads/brochures/CONSTITUTION.PDF

I have seen lots of ads for bedroom approved woodburners. It is the gas stoves I see that all say no bedrooms. If not mistaken, most of the Jotuls you sell are bedroom approved.

I just never wanted to haul splits up the stairs.

Not in my town BB, no woodstoves are approved in bedrooms, heck not even pellet stoves. B vent gas is also a no no, just direct vent gas is approved.. I thought it was a national thing, i guess not.

Hmmm... Just looked and the little Jotuls are bedroom approved. Maybe the wood isn't

I'm going to bed. I hear cold wind is headed our way from Colorado.

MOOD .................There are other things that the "Bedrooms are generally" used for. We'll save that for another forum Dylan.
Dylan said:
I can't imagine WHY anyone would want a stove in a bedroom. Bedrooms are generally smaller, less monitored, used for activities where cooler temps are easily tolerated, messier, and more likely to have greater quantities of combustibles.

Dylan said:
Roospike said:
MOOD .................There are other things that the "Bedrooms are generally" used for. We'll save that for another forum Dylna.
Dylan said:
I can't imagine WHY anyone would want a stove in a bedroom. Bedrooms are generally smaller, less monitored, used for activities where cooler temps are easily tolerated, messier, and more likely to have greater quantities of combustibles.

MOOD, SCHMOOD!!
LMAO .........

Some wood burning devices are aproved for SLEEPING areas.
but when some one Comes in my store wanting a WOOD OR PELLET heater for a bedroom I tell them I will not install it unless the bedroom is over 900 sq feet.
Then I point them over to the Small gas stoves and fireplaces.

I tell them you only need enough heat in a bed room to get her Naked.

BikeMedic said:
Cool bedrooms are condusive to... uhhh. Nevermind.

After you have been married over thirty years cool bedrooms are condusive to piling on the blankets.

Actually there is a big down side to a wood stove in a bedroom #1 you would have to have a smaller stove for the lesser sf and with that being said you would have less of a over all burn time of maybe 2-3 hours ........... Now who wants to stop what there doing in the middle of ******* and throw another log on the fire ?! At least with a gas stove one can keep UP with what one was doing and not worry about stopping after just a few hours to re-log the woodstove. ;)

Roospike said:
Actually there is a big down side to a wood stove in a bedroom #1 you would have to have a smaller stove for the lesser sf and with that being said you would have less of a over all burn time of maybe 2-3 hours ........... Now who wants to stop what there doing in the middle of ******* and throw another log on the fire ?! At least with a gas stove one can keep UP with what one was doing and not worry about stopping after just a few hours to re-log the woodstove. ;)

Yo Roo! Spike it out on the Internet bragging again. Log on gal and tell us the REAL story.

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:

Yo Roo! Spike it out on the Internet bragging again. Log on gal and tell us the REAL story.
BrotherBart said:
BikeMedic said:
Cool bedrooms are condusive to... uhhh. Nevermind.

After you have been married over thirty years cool bedrooms are condusive to piling on the blankets.
:cheese: ! ROOKIE ! :cheese: ** my wife said this when i asked her to read it ------> " Dan ......... Play nice and Stop pestering people and leave them alone ! what we do all night is nun of there business , get off the computer and let the dogs out . Honey dear "

How can this be narrowed down Solid fuel appliances shall be listed and labled and shall be
installed in accordance whith the conditions of the listing. Interpetation if not listed for bedroom location it cannot
be installed there International Mechanical codes)

NFPA211 Solid fuel-burning applainces shall not be installed in alcoves or in an enclosed spaces less that 512 cubic feet

suplemental heating appliances should not be instlled in locations where they can alter or interfere with the central heating system.

interpetations they should not be installed in rooms with thermostats.

This is a good question where common practices usually do not installan appliance in bedrooms. However fireplaces were constructed in bedrooms for heat up till the itroduction of central heating systems I can not remember o ever seeing a fireplace ina bedroom in a home built after 1955. Comon sense, our most venverable state is when we sleep, having a wood stove in sleeping areas presents a greater safety or health risk. Personally I would not be willing to take the risk I supose if the appliance is listed and provisions for combustion air are addressed Untill I find code wording I quess it is allowed. As for codes on hand tonight I find no definite restrictions but I am told I should read the ASHRAE Hand book

A couple of the ones I have seen are Regencies that are "bedroom approved". Most of the bedroom approved ones I have seen were ones that are mobile home/bedroom/alcove rated stoves.

Little dudes.

Heat in a bedroom?
Maybe an oil filled electric set on 55 degrees but it is hard to beat a couple quilts and a fluffy feather tic .

homefire said:
Heat in a bedroom?
Maybe an oil filled electric set on 55 degrees but it is hard to beat a couple quilts and a fluffy feather tic .
get some age on you , add arthritis 70 is barely tolerable ... with the quilts.

Dylan said:
I can't imagine WHY anyone would want a stove in a bedroom. Bedrooms are generally smaller, less monitored, more confined, used for activities where cooler temperatures are easily tolerated, messier, and more likely to have greater quantities of combustibles.

At our previous house, the master bedroom was rather large - over 300 Sq. Ft.
Because it was also located on the 2nd floor, it was almost always chilly, and heat
never seemed to make it up there. Adding a SMALL WOOD STOVE made a huge
difference in comfort and ambience. It was inspected by my insurance carrier &
a building inspector prior to our house sale - no complaints.
My wife & I miss it to this date......

Rob

I've never had a woodstove in the bedroom, but I have put a cot next to a woodstove when was 40 below zero outside.

the only supplemental heating device approved for bedrooms are devices that have automatic oxygen depletion shut off devices. So if there exist a wood stove with an automatic oxygen depletion device, that can shut down the appliance, then it would be allowed. I failed a gass stove today, because it was not listed for bedroom locations and did not have the required oxygen depletion shut off.

At one point I considered putting a small wood stove in our bedroom, which is far from the stove in the living room. I pictured going to sleep with the cozy light of a fire.

That would have been a major mistake! We like it cold, and sleep with the window wide open. The only times we'd want it warm would be for a few minutes in the morning.

I'm glad I saw the light!

As far as the oxygen depletion is concerned, which I can understand is a pretty serious issue, what if one was to install a stove with an outside air kit? Seems it would remove that variable from the equation.

Corie said:
As far as the oxygen depletion is concerned, which I can understand is a pretty serious issue, what if one was to install a stove with an outside air kit? Seems it would remove that variable from the equation.

How bout an Englander 30NLC with outside air kit? :)

Corie said:

good idea i know you have the ashre hand book so look up the listings if OAk are a subsitution for the need for oxygen depletion automatic shut off. So far I have not found any code language neither have I found automatic shutoff of wood stoves? If oak is ok, then where is the auto shut off? In a perfect world Everburn works well for all users all professionals make code compliant installations, products never need recalls. are you willing to bet your life on this? This is one risk I not willing to take. I like waking up each morning. To some life may sucK, but I want to see how tomorrow turns out.

Is carbon monoxide a silent deadly killer? The #1 one poisoning causing deaths? And you want to sleep to that?

elkimmeg said:
Corie said:

good idea i know you have the ashre hand book so look up the listings if OAk are a subsitution for the need for oxygen depletion automatic shut off. So far I have not found any code language neither have I found automatic shutoff of wood stoves? If oak is ok, then where is the auto shut off? In a perfect world Everburn works well for all users all professionals make code compliant installations, products never need recalls. are you willing to bet your life on this? This is one risk I not willing to take. I like waking up each morning. To some life may sucK, but I want to see how tomorrow turns out.

Is carbon monoxide a silent deadly killer? The #1 one poisoning causing deaths? And you want to sleep to that?
Some want to put all their trust in a $20 detector? not me man
Do with your life what you wish, I'm not willing to take that gamble nor my wife's life and children.

At my age, I'd welcome a little wood burning in the bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.